David Kirkwood

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Bob Haining

David Kirkwood

Post by Bob Haining » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 pm

For a number of years I've been looking for the birth of a great uncle, David Kirkwood, son of Thomas Ferguson Kirkwood & Elizabeth Robertson. They had 6 children between 1874 and 1892.

On ScotlandsPeople I've looked at the following certificates, none of them are him: 589/117, 581/181, 581/117, 589/25.

1891 census - listed as David Z. (or "L") H. F. Kirkwood, age 1, born Dalmellington. Also purchased 586/64 David Wood thinking that maybe "Kirk" was missed with all the middle names. And also a David Ferguson 586/176, again thinking maybe there wasn't enough space for "Kirkwood". Not my David.

1901 census - listed as David Kirkwood, age 12, born Dalmellington
1911 census - listed as David Kirkwood, age 20, born Benquhat, Dalmellington

1918 marriage - David Kirkwood - age 29
March 30,1926 - passenger list (London to Australia) age listed as 36

1961 death (Australia) - listed as David Forson Haig Kirkwood, age 71, born Benquhat, Scotland

From this information he was born between1889 & 1891 in Dalmellington. David is listed on 7 trees in Ancestry, all have his birth sources from census.

Has this certificate been mis-indexed, was he adopted? Hope someone has an idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Haining
Surrey, B.C., Canada
Bob
---------
Researching: Haining, Kirkwood's from Dalmellington/Kilwinning, Filson, Goldie, Pollock.

WilmaM

Re: David Kirkwood

Post by WilmaM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm

I think you've covered all the obvious avenues fairly well Bob.

I wondered did the other children in the family have as many names?
Perhaps , if he was adopted, there is a clue in the Haig or Forson elements there. Do they crop up in the wider family circle?
as often children as simple absorbed into the family without formal adoption.

I did a quick search for boys born in Ayrshire 1889/1890 with those surnames but drew a blank on those too :(

Interestingly in the 1891 census there is a :
Forson David Z H aged 28 living in Dalmellington - he died in Calderhead in 1940. I wonder how he fits into things?
Wilma

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Interestingly in the 1891 census there is a :
Forson David Z H aged 28 living in Dalmellington - he died in Calderhead in 1940. I wonder how he fits into things?
The Z in this instance stands for Zerubabbel !

Zerubabbel Forson seems to be a name passed through that family - in various spelling forms as you might guess [ZERUBABBEL, ZERUBABEL ZERUBABLE] with Forson as a surname, middle name or Mother's maiden name.

I expect 'your' chap 's Z followed suit, and he wisely 'lost' it and kept just the other 2 middle names.

No further on in finding your David's birth, but such unusual names must mean something in the wider family network.
Wilma

Bob Haining

Post by Bob Haining » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Wilma,

Thank you for this information. In the years of researching the Kirkwood's, I haven't run into these 3 names. I'll follow up on these names to see if I can find anything of interest and will post.

Most of David's siblings had middle names, but they were part of the family's surnames: Jane Bell (her maternal grandmother's surname), John Robertson (my grandfather), William McBride, Robert Caldwell.

And will also check the McBride and Caldwell names.

Bob
Bob
---------
Researching: Haining, Kirkwood's from Dalmellington/Kilwinning, Filson, Goldie, Pollock.

Bob Haining

Post by Bob Haining » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 am

Wilma,

Thanks to you, I found David Z. H. Forson in the 1891 census, his 1862 birth has his middle names as Zerubabbel Haig, which is the same as my David Kirkwood. According to the 1891 census, David Z.H. Forson was the Minister of Dalmellington Evangelical Union Church.

Was the Kirkwood family close to the church minister and decided to use his name, or did they adopt a baby from the church congregation?? But why is there not a birth certificate?? Still a lot of unanswered questions.
Bob
---------

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am

Good, I knew there just HAD to be some connection.
They are such unusual names!

Pity we aren't any nearer a birth cert. though.
Wilma