Daniel McGhie

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Lizzie S

Daniel McGhie

Post by Lizzie S » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:59 am

Hi,
I've recently got back into my family history tracing details of siblings.
I'm trying to find information about Daniel McGhie b 1843 Newarthill.
He was initially a miner then became a clerk at Iron Works, and briefly, a commercial traveler then back to being a book keeper. Then suddenly in 1901 he is a teacher of music. Its this I am interested in. Various other trees have him going to Washington DC about 1906 and Obituary which states its copied from Hamilton Papers Sept 1918, indicates he was a well known figure in the musical life of Lanarkshire and Glasgow. I don't know of this the right Daniel Mcghie but it does mention his 3rd wife Amelia whom he married in1904.

I thought there might be articles in the Glasgow Herald but can't remember how to get into them :(
or maybe the Hamilton Advertiser.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Lizzie

WilmaM

Re: Daniel McGhie

Post by WilmaM » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:28 pm

Hi Lizzie,
try this link for the Glasgow Herald archives:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 4&b_mode=2

I would be cautious about the Washington DC connection - the chap I found on a passenger list in 1910 was stated to be an American citizen, though born in Scotland.
Wilma

Lizzie S

Post by Lizzie S » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:16 am

Thanks for the link Wilma though of course finding any articles about him is another matter!
I don't suppose you have any links into the Hamilton Advertiser?
As I said I wasn't sure whether the guy mentioned in the obit was the right one though much of the information in it did tie in with what I know though not all of it.
Lizzie

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am

I checked the BNA https://britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
for Daniel McGhie and only ticked the Hamilton Advertiser

This one though it is computer read looks like the chap you describe.
page 5 Saturday 12 October 1918
THE LATE DANIEL MTHTTE. American mails to -hancl this tojo sodden death Bfch ult, Mr Daniel M‘Ghio, at tl» Hiomeoiiathic Hospital, Washington, D.C., U-S.A. A woll-knowi! figairo in the musical life of Lanarkshire and Glasgow; for a lengthened period,
period, prior to his going United States twelve years ago, Mr M‘Ghi* was native Newarthm, where ho was born 28th February, 1843, and at early ago taught in several of the schools in the district* As his talent for music developed, became associated with the conduct of the praise of some of tho churches, notably in Motherwell and the Free Church, Street, Glasgow. was precentor in tho latter church for about twenty years, during which time was a successful applicant for the degree Mus-Bach. (Cantab). He was for many years connected with the Glasgow firm grain merchants, Messrs William Morrison & Sons, but his musical activities wore his main bobby, although during h»s later years lived a quiet, retired lift;. A brother, Mr John M‘Ghie, livte Larkhall, while Sir Robert M‘Alpine, Burt., the head th© wellknown firm of public works contractors a native NowartbilT), is a first cousin. Mr • M'Ghie is survived Washington by his second wife, and his son John ..New York City, while Margaret anti William reside in Scotland. his son John, now one of th© foremost conductors of opera and concerts in America, may be added that received his musical education in Glasgow under the tutelage of his father and the Dr Thomas Barry, Mils.Bach. an early age lie became a factor in the musical life the city.
Initially I only had a few sentences, but with some copy/pasting of subsequent results this is much of the obituary published about him. Hopefully someone with better access can help with th eful thing for you
It looks as if the passenger lists I found on Find My past yesterday will be the same chap as this, if he obtained US citizenship in the years he was there.

An interesting chap,his son John may be worth tracing too.
Wilma

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:12 am

Wilma

Lizzie S

Post by Lizzie S » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:55 pm

Thanks Wilma. Thats the obit I had, sorry you went to so much trouble to try to translate. Its the info about his musical talents that surprised me as there was no indication of this until the 1901 census which states he was a music teacher. Id love to find out more about that.

My next step was going to be looking at his son and his first cousin mentioned in the obit. He seems to be related to THE McALPINES. My great Aunt always said we were related to them!

Thanks for all your trouble.

Lizzie

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:57 pm

An interesting man, I enjoy getting more background info. on many posted here.
Searching just for Daniel Ghie
gave this :
26 June 1869 Hamilton Advertiser
Aw a»b to Musical Mmr.—Of the ilx firstclass certificates m musical composition, awarded Glasgow by the Society Arts, Mr Daniel MO hie, precentor. Dalziel Parish Church, has had the high honour of obtaining one. By this, Mr MOhie is also entitled to o the highest certificate granted by the Beauvoir Tonic-sol-fa College, London. No higherccrtificatesinmusicare granted than those now possessed by Mr MKr. Tbcaefacts ought to act stimulus to young musicians to persevere. Mr Ghie has obtained this honourable distinction indomitable energy, being still young .
If he has been a precentor in the parish church for many years, his music talents would have been well known , and very likely tutored music for family and church, before having sufficient clientele to make it his living.
I take it you know a Precentor is the person who starts and/or leads the congregational singing in churches. Before widespread literacy and for those who worship without musical accompaniment.
Wilma

Lizzie S

Post by Lizzie S » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:14 am

Hi Wilma,

Thanks thats great, just what I was looking for. He obviously had a great musical talent but had to work in more mundane jobs for most of his life while enjoying his hobby until he could take it up later. Its always great to find out more. Census records are useful but don't give any info regarding peoples lives.
I will try to find out more about his son but the sun is shining at last and the garden is calling me!
Lizzie

Lizzie S

Post by Lizzie S » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:32 pm

Hi Wilma, It is fascinating getting more background information.
Thought you might like to know I followed up on Daniels son John b 1868 and discovered he married a Josephine Knapp in New York on 16th May 1895. I can't read the federal records on Ancestry as I don't have world wide membership so the next thing I found was that he died on 29th April 1921 age 52 from Double Pneumonia and a couple of other things I can't make out. On the record of his death it states his occupation as Musical Director so he definitely was part of the musical family. I can't find an obit which might give me more info on his life. I wonder if you might have a look for me?

As I said its been a while since I looked at this family but just noticed that I have info on Daniels brother John which confirms the musical family. His obit in the Hamilton Advertiser mentions that he was "one of several brothers - well over average height - who took an interest in musical affairs and gave assistance to choirs and the early choral union". Thought the mention of their height amusing :D

Lizzie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:48 am

Lizzie S wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:32 pm
Thought the mention of their height amusing :D
John's "declaration of intention" for naturalization in 1915 says he is 5'11" tall, complexion "fair", weight: 190 pounds, hair: dk gray, eyes: blue, distinctive mark: lame in left leg.

[cheers]

Sarah