Nairne of Dunsinnan and/or Nairne of Collace?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

RobinsonCrusoe

Nairne of Dunsinnan and/or Nairne of Collace?

Post by RobinsonCrusoe » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm

A Thomas Nairn(e), of the Perthshire parish of Collace, was created a Baronet of Nova Scotia in 1704, taking the title Nairne of Dunsinane. The 3rd Baronet, also Thomas, married in 1740 and his son William Grahame (b1744) became the 4th Baronet in 1760. The Baronetcy ended with the death of the 5th Baronet (1811) as there were no surviving male heirs.

I can trace my own family back to a 1774 marriage in Collace between George Nairn(e) and Margaret Martin. The only Collace baptism for a George Nairn in the right time period is in September 1741 so that might be "my" George. The father was a Thomas Nairn. However, unlike many trees I have seen I baulk at laying claim to Thomas, the 3rd Baronet being the father of "my" George as that would have made George the eldest son and, therefore, the 4th Baronet.

Still with Nairn(e) a rather uncommon name and Collace a small parish I feel that the two families are likely linked, but how to establish such a link? I imagine that DNA matches at this distance are unlikely.