ARDLER FIRE

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

faolteam

ARDLER FIRE

Post by faolteam » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:58 am

WILLIAM MACFARLANE HAD A SMALL WORKSHOP OR SMALL FACTORY IN THE VILLAGE OF ARDLER AT WELTON OF BALBROGIE ( now known as WELTON HOUSE) WELTON COTTAGES THE APPRENTICES WOULD COME IN ON A SUNDAY AND LIGHT THE FIRES FOR THE MILLWRIGHT MEN SO IT WOULD BE READY ON THE MONDAY FOR THEM TO USE, BUT THE FACTORY CAUGHT FIRE BETWEEN 1883-1892 AND WAS BURNED DOWN after In an hour spent in the Perth Archive and Library, I have probably been able to narrow down the date of the fire, by referring to the annual valuation roll. That for 1889 is the last to show William Macfarlane as tenant. That for 1890-1891 marks part of the property as vacant, while that for 1891-1892 and the years thereafter records a C. Soutar, blacksmith, as tenant. He presumably took over the burned-out ‘factory’ building vacated by William Macfarlane. This would seem to narrow down the date of the fire to around 1888 or 1889. If anyone can shed any light on the above inform , Newspaper Cutting etc ????

Currie

Re: ARDLER FIRE

Post by Currie » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:48 am

Hello Faolteam,

British Newspapers 1800-1900 are available here http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/ Unfortunately the Dundee Courier, which I think is the closest to Ardler, doesn’t appear to be yet available there. You may be able to access the Dundee newspaper in the 19th Century British Library Newspaper Collection, but that depends on your location.

I had a good look in the 19C newspapers but couldn’t find anything about the fire you described. There were a couple of Ardler fires reported, as shown hereunder, which I’ve summarised.

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Monday, July 02, 1888
Fire in one of the Arthurstone Cottages at Camno Muir, near Ardler, occupied by Charles Ewan, railway pointsman.

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Thursday, June 07, 1894
Farm Fire near Ardler. A fire in the implement shed at the farm of Willtown, owned and tenanted by Mr Wm Duncan, Merchant, Dundee. Adjoining shed used as a Joiners workshop also destroyed.

What did William Macfarlane manufacture? Any chance the following refers to him?

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Wednesday, July 30, 1879
The Agricultural Show at Perth
Mr W. Macfarlane, Ardler, who occupies Stands 160 and 169, shows a great variety of agricultural implements, amongst which are reapers, horse rakes, and drill harrows. He also exhibits a new and improved threshing machine of English style, invented and made by himself, and which is a compact and handy machine for fixed or barn use. The machinery is all enclosed, so that dust cannot get in, and farmers will find this thresher of a very suitable description. A vertical engine of 6-horse power for driving the machine is also on view, the engine and boiler being on the same base.

You appear to have been chasing this matter for some years. Do you have the Census information for him? Maybe it would help to pin down the factory’s exact location if you’re unsure about that? Is there any significance in what you’ve typed in upper case, was it from a publication of some kind?

All the best,
Alan

faolteam

Post by faolteam » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:47 am

Hi Alan,
He was a Master Millwright, his own father Peter had the premises before him in,:

Peter :

1851 Coupar Angus Woodside, employing 4 men.
1861 , Wellton Employing 2 men and 1 boy

William :

1871 Welton Employing 6 men
1881 Welltown Coupar Angus Employing 3 men and 4 boys
1891 177 Blackness road Dundee Machine Fitter

I was under the impression that the fire started between 1888- 1889 but I coukd be wrong if u look at the census you will see that the employing of men for William stopped between 1881 and 1891 ? I get the impression he was working for someone in 1891,

How far would Wellton de from Blackness road Dundee did he still keep the place going but did not mention je was employing people are you sure that the fire started on the date you mentioned Thursday, June 07, 1894, because he was using this place in 1881 to employ 3 men and 4 boys , the story goes that the apprentices would come in on a Sunday afternoon to light the fires forges etc so it would be ready for the men on Monday when they arrive for work but this particular weekend it burnt down and they were no insured,

But yet the names you mentioned make sense I got this email quite a while ago :

Balbrogie is the name of a farm between the village of Ardler and the town
of Coupar Angus, closer to Ardler than to Coupar Angus. Historically there
were several buildings within the area covered by the farm - Balbrogie (the
main house and farm beside the River Isla), Wester Balbrogie (now gone),
Bank of Balbrogie (now known as Viewbank) and Welton of Balbrogie (now known
as Welton House). All of the above are shown on the attached map, which I
hope you will be able to download successfully.

As it happens, I have copies of the Valuation Rolls (more or less equivalent
to today's rateable values) for properties in Coupar Angus Parish. I can
confirm that a 'Peter Macfarlane, Millwright is listed in the Valuation Roll
for 1860-1 as 'tenant and occupier' of a 'house and land' at Welton, noted
as being in the ownership of a Miss Duncan at that time.

I can also confirm
that that a 'William Macfarlane, Millwright' is listed as being 'tenant and
occupier' of a 'house and land' at Welton of Balbrogie in the valuations for
1870-1 and 1880-1, presumably renting this from the owner who is listed by
this time as being William Duncan, who also appears to have owned land at
Kirriemuir.

And William Duncan who you mention is here :

As I said they were Millwrights Iron moulders and I heard stories that someone had found a Iron I think was a Wheel or cog of some sort with the name Macfarlane on it.

I found this information so intriguing.

Even more interesting is the nest thing you mention : The Agricultural Show at Perth
Mr W. Macfarlane, Ardler, who occupies Stands 160 and 169, shows a great variety of agricultural implements, amongst which are reapers, horse rakes, and drill harrows. He also exhibits a new and improved threshing machine of English style, invented and made by himself, and which is a compact and handy machine for fixed or barn use. The machinery is all enclosed, so that dust cannot get in, and farmers will find this thresher of a very suitable description. A vertical engine of 6-horse power for driving the machine is also on view, the engine and boiler being on the same base.

I find this so fascinating if its him oh my god , im wondering how I can explore that avenue

I have written to the Perth Agricultural Show,
Did you find this information on this site : http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Thanking you so much I await your reply.

Keith

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:51 am

Hello Keith,

Here’s the full text of the 1894 article, all the other players are there, but not a sign of Mr Macfarlane.

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Thursday, June 07, 1894
FARM FIRE NEAR ARDLER.
On Tuesday afternoon about three o'clock smoke was observed issuing from an implement shed at the farm of Willtown, owned and tenanted by Mr Wm. Duncan, merchant, Dundee. On examination, it was discovered that the fire had got a firm hold of the shed, and in a short space of time it had caught on the other three buildings of wood adjoining it on either side. One shed was used as a joiner's workshop, and was well filled with wood and tools. The cart shed contained two carts, as well as various farm implements, all of which were burned. A large number of willing hands, sent by the neighbouring farmers, were early on the spot, and a plentiful supply of water being at hand, their efforts were directed to saving the adjoining buildings, barn, &c., as well as subduing the flames. But for some time the dwelling house, which is not far distant from the steading, was in eminent danger, wet blankets having had to be used in order to keep back the flames. Among the first to arrive, and who rendered valuable assistance, were Mr Mitchell, Downham; Mr Kidd, West Ardler; Mr Seaton, Cronan; Mr Anderson, Balbrogie; Mr Soutar, blacksmith; and Mr Dewar, joiner. Police Constables Hutton and Graham, Coupar Angus, were early on the spot making inquiries, but the origin of the fire is unknown at present. The damage, which amounts to between £400 and £300, is covered by insurance.

But here’s the good news, and a bit earlier than you thought.

The Dundee Courier & Argus and Northern Warder, Tuesday, February 24, 1880
MILLWRIGHT’S SHOP BURNED NEAR COUPAR ANGUS.
A fire occurred at Weltown of Balbrogie, near Coupar Angus, on Sunday morning, when the work-shop of Mr William M'Farlane, millwright and agricultural implement maker there, was entirely destroyed, along with a quantity of wood, tools, &c., belonging both to Mr M'Farlane and his workmen. The premises contained three engines in connection with the works, and an extensive business was carried on. Besides the fittings and tools in connection with the works, some four thrashing mills and a number of other implements in for repairs and in course of construction, besides a great quantity of wood, were burned. The place was first observed to be on fire about 7.30 a.m. by Mr David Mitchell, farmer, Downham, who resides near by, and who promptly came and gave the alarm. The fire being observed by others of the neighbours, a number of willing hands were soon on the spot; but the building, being composed of wood, was soon burned to the ground. A wooden shed, containing implements of husbandry, narrowly escaped being burned. The fire is supposed to have been purely accidental, but how it originated is not certain. The loss is estimated at about £800 and is partially covered by insurance in the Sun Fire Insurance Office.

The British Newspapers 1800-1900 site doesn’t have the Dundee Courier. It was in the second release of newspapers and hasn’t yet been added there. I can access the Dundee Courier via the 19th Century British Library Newspaper collection which is for institution use including subscribing libraries of which the National Library of Australia is one.

Higher Education and Further Education students and staff in the UK can get free access. Some County and City libraries in the UK subscribe but don’t necessarily have the second series with the Dundee Courier. This was discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15107&hilit=

I can send you a copy of the articles if you can’t easily access them otherwise. Just let me know an email address via a Personal Message.

All the best,
Alan

faolteam

Post by faolteam » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:03 pm

DearAlan,
That is amazing i am shocked after all these years of trying to find news you have done it.
I dearly would love to see the article ps were photo around then .i will pm u with my email.
Many Many thanks

The reason i did not think it was before 1881 was because he was employing people in Welltown , and in the 1891 he was living in Dundee not employing people but down a as a Machine Fitter. So it seems that he continued his business here and rebuilt his factory sometime between 1889 he left this place when he was about 51 I don’t know why but he died very early when he was 62 , Why he didn’t continue his business or if he moved to other premises that I will have to find out, he was living in Blackness road Not to sure how near that is to Welton.

SO the story i had was that it was the Apprentices would come in the weekend and light the forges for the Men so everything would be hot and ready for them when they arrived on the Monday,

This whole Story begins to make sense and fits in. I was also told that they were not insured. and that there were Macfarlane named pieces of steel around that i have to check out.

its amazing that 14 years later that the same area went on fire again and the blacksmith is mentioned Mr Soutar, blacksmith; and also Mr Dewar,not sure if its the same person but a Robert Dewar was an apprentice at my GG Grandfathers factory, im thinking might be the same person

I have written to the Perth Agricultural Show, await there reply
im wondering if there are any pictures etc

I am also writing to the insurance Company mentioned to see if they can shed any light

im left with these questions :

1. Im wondering why he moved from the premises after obviously rebuilding after the fire and if so were did he move to what premises I do know my g grandfather was a millwright but in 1895 he was married in Glasgow.
2. Were can I find out if he had machinery or metal items with the Macfarlane logo on it that he had invented.
3. What information will the insurance company have?
4. and particulary what was 800 pounds worth in 1880.
This is some information I have received over the years

I attach a picture of the north side of the principal two-storey building, which stands immediately to the north of Welton House.
As you will see, this looks like a building with a long and complicated history, with the date 1788 above the lintel over the large door to the bottom right of the picture.
It is certainly the sort of building which might have housed William Macfarlane’s workshop, almost large enough to be described as a ‘factory’.

There is little to be seen in the interior, which is largely empty.
I have included some other information and the workshop that is mentioned Welton Balbrogie is the name of a farm between the village of Ardler and the town
of Coupar Angus, closer to Ardler than to Coupar Angus. Historically there
were several buildings within the area covered by the farm - Balbrogie (the
main house and farm beside the River Isla), Wester Balbrogie (now gone),
Bank of Balbrogie (now known as Viewbank) and Welton of Balbrogie (now known
as Welton House). All of the above are shown on the attached map, which I
hope you will be able to download successfully.

As it happens, I have copies of the Valuation Rolls (more or less equivalent
to today's rateable values) for properties in Coupar Angus Parish. I can
confirm that a 'Peter Macfarlane, Millwright is listed in the Valuation Roll
for 1860-1 as 'tenant and occupier' of a 'house and land' at Welton, noted
as being in the ownership of a Miss Duncan at that time. I can also confirm
that that a 'William Macfarlane, Millwright' is listed as being 'tenant and
occupier' of a 'house and land' at Welton of Balbrogie in the valuations for
1870-1 and 1880-1, presumably renting this from the owner who is listed by
this time as being William Duncan, who also appears to have owned land at
Kirriemuir.

Many Thanks Keep in touch,

Keith

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:59 am

That’s okay Keith,

I’ve sent the images. Please let me know when they arrive safely. Here’s another couple of interesting items.

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Wednesday, June 30, 1880
DUNDEE SPIRIT MERCHANT DROWNED.
Yesterday afternoon Mr Nicol, spirit merchant and ginger beer manufacturer, Dundee, along with Mr George Watson, farmer, Balgove, and Mr Macfarlane, millwright, Weltown of Balbrogie, and his own son, were fishing on the Isla above Balbrogie. Mr Nicol lay down on the bank to take a drink from the river, when the bank unfortunately gave way and he fell into the water. The place where he went in is very deep, and he at once sank. His little boy gave the alarm. Mr Macfarlane and Mr Watson ran to his assistance, but before they could get at him he was down. Every effort was made to get him out, but the body was not recovered until life had become extinct. Mr Nicol and his family have, we understand, been living at their summer lodgings at Washington, near Coupar-Angus. The body was afterwards removed there. Mr Nicol, owing to the Dundee holidays, was enjoying a day's fishing with the friends named.

The Dundee Courier & Argus, Wednesday, May 19, 1886
A DISPUTED BARGAIN.—Yesterday, in the Small Debt Court, Mr George Robertson, banker, Coupar-Angus, as trustee on the estate of Wm. M'Farlane, millwright, Welltown, Meigle, sued Mr Charles Smith, Burrelton, Coupar-Angus, for £11 0s 6d as the price of a grass seed sorter and fitting in a roller supplied by Mr M`Farlane in the spring of last year. Defender alleged that he bought the machine on condition that he was to get a month's trial of it, and that if it did not suit it was to be returned. M'Farlane contended, on the other hand, that there was no such condition attached to the bargain, and that it would have been out of the question for him to have agreed to such a stipulation, as he did not make the machines himself, but had to send to England for them. After hearing evidence, Sheriff Substitute Readman said that, although the case was not altogether free from doubt, he thought that upon the whole the pursuer had made out his claim, and was entitled to decree, with expenses, which he accordingly granted. Agents—For pursuer, Mr R. Mitchell, solicitor, Perth; for defender, Mr John Stewart, solicitor, Perth.

Is Weltown of Balbrogie the same as Welltown Meigle? It sounds like it is. The reference to “trustee on the estate” sounds a bit like a sequestration (bankruptcy or similar).

The distance from Blackness Road, Dundee to Balbrogie appears to be about 20 kilometres, but that’s as the crow flies. That’s using Google Earth, but there doesn’t appear to be any overhead coverage for Coupar Angus.

Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland – 1883, has on page 30: M’Farlane, Wm. Agricultural Implement Maker, Welltown, Meigle, as a member, having been admitted 1879. He’s also in other issues at least to 1887. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=zhc ... CDkQ6AEwAg

An 1891 edition has a Wm Duncan, Welltown, Meigle, as a member, having been admitted 1887. He’s there in 1894 as well, and right through to 1899 at least, but it reads Welltown, Coupar Angus. http://www.google.com.au/webhp?complete ... 6f615c9824

All the best,
Alan

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 am

The Sun Fire Insurance mentioned has its archive records at the Guildhall, London.

See http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporat ... ll_lib.htm

and the contact email is manuscripts.guildhall@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Best wishes,
Meg

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi
For the Coupar Angus area try bing.com/maps zoom in and select arial view.

Smid
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:29 am

Thanks Smid,

That’s handy. The aerial view in Google Earth is just a smudge, although it does have street view.

Alan

faolteam

Post by faolteam » Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 am

Thanks guys a Wealth of information \:D/