Childhood songs and rhymes

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:24 am

pinkshoes wrote:...snipped.....Thinking about the songs etc from my granny reminded me of misheard words - repeating parrot fashion what a child's ear hears. My daughter was born and raised in Yorkshire. At the age of three she'd sing that well known Christmas Carol "A Wain In A Manger". I swear it's true.

Pinkshoes
At the risk of thread drift, who would like to identify the very famous Italian opera (male) aria where the subject appears to be "elephants' ears" ?? !!!............

David

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 am

RE the lucky potato you forgot the lucky part,they cost if memory serves me well 1/2p & if you were lucky in the middle was a 1/2p & not the plastic toy that children could choke on.Have seen them in recent years minus the "lucky" & costing considerably more than 1/2p.
Sugar mice on top of your Christmas stocking & by the way Tesco's sell Tunnock's Caramel Wafers/Teacakes etc.They have stopped their "Scotch! Morning Rolls" much to my & the twa boys distress.
On their Grandfather's 80th his daughter drove from Warrington to the Borders to collect Scottish rolls for her Father's birthday.She bought 80 I think he managed 5! He was very popular with my twa charges until the supply ran out.I bring back plain bread & rolls when I go home.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:30 pm

I meant to post this earlier regarding the skipping ditties.

I remember the two Ann's in the next close with their skipping, they used to drag us boys in to play, but we were'nt as dab a hands at the skipping. I suppose as my mother would say, we were like "a coo wi a gun" :lol:
They used to get us to do the rope swinging :lol:
Although they did let us play hop scotch, I dont think I did too well in that either :lol: But I can't remember any of the songs (a boy thing :lol: )
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Lizzie

Post by Lizzie » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:44 am

I remember boys being allowed to hold the rope in our Close but never, ever, being allowed to skip..... !

Lizzie

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:50 am

I was telling one of my Scottish clients today about this forum and we had such a laugh. She remembers the canary song and her ending was the same as Lesley,s. Only, she had an aunt Mary and decided to sing it to her one day and got a clout round the head !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Joan

Post by Joan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:09 am

We played paldies in Fife (nothing as posh as hopscotch). I can remember when it wis pouring my Mum wid let us in the scullery (as long as she hadn't just cleaned it) to flip over the rug, draw on the canvas back, and wi wir able to keep playing. She wis richt popular wi my pals as well cos she kent mair skipping songs than onybody else and she wis a great skipper tae hiv on yir team. She even took her turn cawing. My brothers on the other hand were sine die (or as we used to pronounce it shindee) as they would get bored ca'ing the rope and pull it tight xmas:wink:

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:00 pm

StewL wrote: I suppose as my mother would say, we were like "a coo wi a gun" :lol:
Absolutely roared when I heard this - new one on me :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder how long it will be before I can work that one into the conversation :!:

Pinkshoes (falling on the floor laughing)

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:01 am

Pinkshoes

That was my mothers favourite expression when we were clumsy or couldnt manage to do a simple task, or make something fit :lol:
Of course she was always laughing when she said it xmas:cheesygrin:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:19 pm

David wrote:

At the risk of thread drift, who would like to identify the very famous Italian opera (male) aria where the subject appears to be "elephants' ears" ?? !!!............

As long as no one thinks this is too RUDE, perhaps the following will do as a interim attempt: http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/ and turn up the volume.

Thrall [-X

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:30 pm

Thrall wrote:David wrote:

As long as no one thinks this is too RUDE, perhaps the following will do as a interim attempt: http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/ and turn up the volume.

Thrall [-X
Let me just add that the aria involved is one of the most famous, if not the most famous from La Traviata ..............

David