ancestry.com family tree

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

hg

ancestry.com family tree

Post by hg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question. :oops:

Does any one know if it is possible to copy my tree from ancestry to legacy? It would be easier than inputting everyone on individually.

all the best

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Helen
If it is possible to download your Ancestry tree as a GEDCOM file, then you could import that GEDCOM into Legacy.
I don't know how Ancestry trees work though, so I'm not sure if this is a possibility!

Best wishes
Lesley

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi Helen,

In the Family Tree "Pedigree" view there is a "Tree Settings" option on the menu just below the tree name.

Click on that and you will see the option to Export your tree in Gedcom format.

Good luck
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

35Tweed

Post by 35Tweed » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Helen if you do manage to transfer your tree as a GEDCOM file don't be surprised if all the media stuff gets left behind. You may end up having to move all documents and photos etc individually.
Researching:
MCELHINNEY Donegal/Glasgow/Lanarkshire
HOULIHAN (+ variants) Lanarkshire
FARRELL Lanarkshire

hg

Post by hg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Maybe another silly question!

Once I have transferred my tree, will it still be on Ancestry? :?
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi Helen
When you download your tree you are making a copy of it. Just like when you download a picture from a web site...the original stays exactly where it was and you have a copy.

Best wishes
Lesley

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Hello Helen
Yes, your tree will still appear at Ancestry.com. When anything is downloaded, it is "duplicated" is the best way I can think of to say it.
Anyhow, your tree stays until you edit or delete it. Even then I think
they manage to keep a copy. If I ever want to remove a tree, "updating" it, to bare bones information seems the best way to remove information.
Best luck with your transfer - let us know!
Cathy

hg

Post by hg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:04 pm

#-o . I feel really silly now. I did think my tree would still be on ancestry I just needed to double check.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Helen

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

hg wrote:I feel really silly now.
You've got nothing to feel silly about.

Asking questions before doing something you're not sure of isn't silly - It's actually the sensible thing to do.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

hg

Post by hg » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:41 pm

=D> I have managed to download my tree from Ancestry.com to Legacy, and it has worked. In fact it was really simple (now I know what I am doing) \:D/

Helen