Charles Wagner of Poland Russia

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 am

born about 1855 in Poland/Russia, he is said to be the son of Anton and Thecla. they removed to England, then Charles moved to Boston, USA. tracing him is quite difficult. he isn't in any census. he isn't in the IGI. he doesn't seem to have a death record. I haven't found his immigration or naturalization records yet. there's too many Charles Wagners and not enough information to tell one from another.
Charles was a mariner and I have some information on him and on some of the ships he worked on, but he has no seaman's protection records, the ones for Boston were lost. we don't know where else he might have worked out of.
I have a tiny hint that Anton and Thecla may have been from Engen in Wurtemburg, Germany, but have no way of proving/disproving it.
does anyone recognise this family? they are my maternal ancestors.
[/quote]
Arch.*McDonald*+Margt, son Al. Don.*McPhail* +Mary*McAskill*.Rbrt*Atkinson*+Mary*Aitken*,Rchd*Atkinson*+Ann*Airey*.Catherine*Scott* Azariah*Ross*+ Polly *Chittenden*. *Moore*?
Wm G(Greer?) *Denniston*+Jane C *Stewart*

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 am

Hello Topaz,

I’ve just been browsing and saw this page. I suppose it would be yours. It makes very interesting reading and you’ve certainly put a lot of effort into finding him. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... 139&op=GET

I checked for the name in House of Commons Parliamentary Papers but only these two came up. There’s no other information there about them.

1883 (125) Aliens. Returns of certificates of naturalization issued to aliens etc.
1. Name: Wagner, Charles. Country: Germany. Date of Naturalisation: 2 Feb. 1881. Place of Residence: 104, Victoria Dock-road, Canning Town, London.
2. Name: Wagner, Charles. Country: Germany. Date of Naturalisation: 19 Sept. 1882. Place of Residence: 39, Lewin-street, Newport, Monmouth.

Lots of luck,
Alan

topaz

Post by topaz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 am

many, many thanks for checking the naturalizations for him. even though I suspect neither may be him, it's good to know they're there and helps to eliminate another potential search. I'll check further into it, I can't negate them completely.

yes, you found my file. my suspicion is he may have changed his name, whether completely or simply anglicizing it, but if so, his parents names, unless they're false, should bring someone looking, yet I've never had anyone ask after Anton and Thecla. this is after 20 years of research on my part. if I could only get to Massachusetts, at least I could go through what survives of his work records. and maybe find where he's buried. some day...I hope.
Arch.*McDonald*+Margt, son Al. Don.*McPhail* +Mary*McAskill*.Rbrt*Atkinson*+Mary*Aitken*,Rchd*Atkinson*+Ann*Airey*.Catherine*Scott* Azariah*Ross*+ Polly *Chittenden*. *Moore*?

momat

Post by momat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:12 am

hello topaz,
Is this him ?

Search Results | Print
Charles Joseph WAGNER (AFN: VGTX-B1) Pedigree
Sex: M Family

Event(s)
Birth: 1857
Warsaw, , , Poland
Death: 3 Aug 1894
Boston, Middlessex, Massachusetts
Parents
Father: Anton (AFN: 1FN1-R8Q) Family
Mother: Thecla (AFN: 1FN1-R9X)

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Annie MCDONALD (AFN: VGTX-R8) Family
Marriage: 4 Oct 1883
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts

Submitter(s)
Maureen

topaz

Post by topaz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm

yes, Maureen, that's him. an LDS friend submitted him to the IGI. so the data listed is what I knew at the time. it's been around 15 years. I haven't gained much since then, though not for lack of trying.

topaz

Post by topaz » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm

reread it, and the Warsaw is a guess, from family stories. I've tried to verify them, but haven't succeeded. there's no record of a musician in the Polish Symphony named Anton Wagner.