Valuation Rolls, 1913-1914

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

WilmaM

Valuation Rolls, 1913-1914

Post by WilmaM » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:25 pm

Like HeatherK I followed the link on Moonwatcher's Thread [ The Model, My Scotland] to The Glasgow story site [ www.theglasgowstory.com ].
I've been on there several times but never before noticed the Valuation Rolls, 1913-1914 section there.

I've had a quick scout and found some interesting bits already.
Like who was living in the house where I was born
and that the hairdresser's shop in our street was a hairdressing shop even back then !
I'm going to have to go through all my Glesga folk and check out the addresses.

Was Glasgow the only place to have this sort of record?
or are they the only ones on-line ?
anybody know ?

DavidWW

Re: Valuation Rolls, 1913-1914

Post by DavidWW » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:05 pm

WilmaM wrote:....snip.............
Was Glasgow the only place to have this sort of record?
or are they the only ones on-line ?
anybody know ?
Nope, everywhere had them, but remember that it's only in relatively modern times that the majority of people will appear in a Valuation Roll. Back then the great majority of people would not have owned property and would not therefore appear in a Valuation Roll.

A similar comment applies to another similar source, - Voters' Rolls, - anyone like to do a bit of digging and suss out the date that applies for universal suffrage ??.... :idea:

I haven't heard of any other VRs on-line, but wouldn't be surprised....... I'd council a Google ............

Davie

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:26 pm

Back then the great majority of people would not have owned property and would not therefore appear in a Valuation Roll.

I haven't heard of any other VRs on-line, but wouldn't be surprised....... I'd council a Google ............

Davie
The Glasgow one gives the names of the tenant and the annual rent, I found my GGrandfather a labourer paid £10 a year whrreas the other in the close paid between £7 - £9, they must have had either a bigger one or been on the ground floor perhaps ?

I did try a google but that was the only hit, but Angus ones seem to be in a FHS.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:53 pm

Hmmmm...... didn't know that (I'm never too proud to admit to lack of knowledge :!: ), and am unsure if there would be such info on tenants as standard across the country.

Any VR experts out there ??

Davie

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:57 pm

WilmaM wrote:....snipped......The Glasgow one gives the names of the tenant and the annual rent, I found my GGrandfather a labourer paid £10 a year whereas the others in the close paid between £7 - £9, they must have had either a bigger one or been on the ground floor perhaps ...snipped ..........
Or maybe, if on the ground floor, had their own separate front door as opposed to access via the famous Glasgow wally tiled "close", and those adjectives are bound to set off a few people.... "wally tiled" ?? Ehhh???

Davie

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:23 pm

I too have a query about the Glasgow valuation rolls? Several of my families street numbers are missing on the rolls. Repeatedly, there's the number before and the one after. I'm pretty sure that the addresses are correct because I've picked them up on trade directories and census. Could this mean that they owned the buildings in which they lived and/or had their business? Their names are nowhere else on the streets in question.

Catriona

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:30 pm

Catriona, I had a job finding some of mine. The numbers seem to start at 1 then do all the odd numbers then turn at the top/bottom and come back the way to 2

ie 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 then 14 12 10 8 6 4 2 - hard going when there are 200 houses :shock:

That may seem too simple an explaination, but it may help somebody else new to this.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:54 pm

I have to admit that in all the times I've visited The Glasgow Story site, I'd never noticed this link to the Glasgow Valuation Rolls. Perhaps it's a recent addition. However, having spent a few hours prowling around it's thrown up a couple of interesting things that are worthy of future research. I too found it a little confusing to navigate and a number of addresses do seem to be missing. That aside, I reckon I'll be spending a fair amount of time trawling through these Valuation Rolls.

Bob.

HK

Post by HK » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:03 pm

Since Moonwatcher brought the site to our attention I've been flitting about seeing what's there.(Great Site by the way.)There's even a section on what our ancestors lives would have been like.I did find a bit that mentioned that the Valuation Rolls from 1855-1987 were available at the National Archieves.It mentions that some earlier ones are not complete but I could find no reference to the 1913-1914 Roll.I too noticed some missing numbers.
HK

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:58 pm

Thanks Wonka.
Your comment encourages me to look again.

It certainly is an interesting sight.

Catriona