Help finding a death in Canada please *Completed thanks*

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenwalker

Help finding a death in Canada please *Completed thanks*

Post by karenwalker » Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi I was wondering if some kind soul with access to Canadian records would be able to find the death of my great aunt please. Her name was Mary Livingston Naismith. She was born 1889 (give or take a year) in Glasgow and moved to Canada, Kingston, Ontario possibly late 1940's or 1950's. Her married name was Mann so would have been registered under that name. Her husband's name was William Mann also born in Glasgow. Any information on them at all would be such a help and much appreciated.

Thank you.
Karen
Last edited by karenwalker on Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currie

Re: Help finding a death in Canada please

Post by Currie » Sun May 09, 2010 8:01 am

Hello Karen,

Not much help, but on the free search at FMP these two show up as departing Glasgow, 1956, bound for Montreal. http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerLi ... art.action

MANN, Mary, 1889, F, 1956, Glasgow, Canada, Montreal.
MANN, William, 1891, M, 1956, Glasgow, Canada, Montreal.

Alan

karenwalker

Post by karenwalker » Sun May 09, 2010 11:11 am

Alan,

Hello again! Thank you for your assistance and another helpful link. There are people in the family who would have known exactly but sadly aren't here now to ask all these things.

Karen

BarbR

Post by BarbR » Sun May 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi Karen,

Canadian privacy rules are much stricter than those in the UK. Death registrations are only in the public domain in Ontario up to 1937, a new year is added each year. The Kingston newspaper is the Whig Standard their address is
The Whig Standard
6 Cataraqui St. P.O. Box 2300
Kingston
K7L 4Z7
If you wanted to try writing to them to see if they had an obituary they could send.

Kingston is in Frontenac County. I tried looking for your folks on the Ontario Cemetery Finder with no joy, but it doesn't cover everything in Ontario yet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe someone else will have some other ideas.

Barbara
seeking: Laidlaw - Edinburgh, Poyner - Co. Down & Edinburgh, Gibb - Edinburgh, McGhie - East Lothian, Crawford - Roscommon & Edinburgh, Wilson - Edinburgh, Hay - East Lothian, Tulloch - East Lothian.

karenwalker

Post by karenwalker » Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Barbr

Thank you for all your efforts, much appreciated. Also for the address of the newspaper, see how I get on and then I might try writing to them.

Cheers

Karen

NadineS

Post by NadineS » Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi Karen

You could also contact the Kingston Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society http://www.kingston.ogs.on.ca/contact/
I googled the Kingston library, but it doesn't sound like they have time to do lookups...
There's quite a few Mann's in Kingston - drop a note? - who knows - someone might just be related! http://www.canada411.com

Good luck in your searching,
Nadine
Stevenson/Campbell - St. Ninians, Stirlingshire
Robertson/Hogg - Polmont, Stirlingshire
Burnfield/Ross - Perthshire
Buchanan/McQueen - Argyll & Inverness
Stewart/Gilzean - Elgin, Morayshire

karenwalker

Post by karenwalker » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Nadine

Many thanks for that info and the links, I will definitely try that. Much appreciation.

Kind regards

Karen