James Hastings , Toronto

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Morag

James Hastings , Toronto

Post by Morag » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:47 am

Hi

I am trying to track down James Hastings , born Falkirk 1888 ( parents John & Margaret Grassom ). I have been unable to find him in Scotland after 1901.
I have just discovered him ( I think) travelling to Scotland and returning to Toronto,Canada in 1934. It states that he was in Canada from 1920. In 1934 he was travelling with his 8 year old son who was born in Canada but has a strong family name, so I am fairly sure it is them. ( I will not put the son's name as he could still be alive )
From what I can find , the Ontario records wouldn't cover marriages or births as recent as this - but would be delighted if someone knows better.
I can't find him on any passenger lists before 1934, and he doesn't seem to be anywhere in Britain in 1911.
Any help would be gratefully received
Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

Currie

Re: James Hastings , Toronto

Post by Currie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 am

Hello Morag,

There are several by that name born around 1888 on the US Social Security Death Index. If you have his exact date of birth it may be worthwhile checking there just in case he moved south. https://www.familysearch.org/search/sea ... tered=true

It looks like someone in New Zealand is also interested. They have a sister for him who has possible travel to Canada (see Ancestry matches). http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... =486553612

All the best,
Alan

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi Morag

I don't know how common is the name - I found this record

Canadian passenger lists 1865-1935

Quebec 1920 August on Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm from Liverpool
Hastings James 32 Married, never been to Canada before can read/write from Scotland destination Toronto Ont, Salesman
There is a column for "are you intending to stay in Canada, but it has not been completed for anyone, but a couple of folks are listed as tourists (not James)
No sign of a wife with him. I wonder if he went to England before Canada?

I looked at the WWI CEF as I found one of my English relatives served with this force but I don't think your man is there.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/data ... nterval=20
I'll see if I can see a possible wife coming later

Trish

Morag

Post by Morag » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Thank you for the responses

Trish - I think this is him ! I also found a form for the same date where he gives a name and address for his wife in Falkirk - she is Margaret and was living in the next street to many other family members , so I am fairly sure it is the right one. I now need to investigate marriages etc. I couldn't find them in 1911 , but will need to look further.

Alan - I am having problems with Family Search this morning - I am having internet issues today, so will have to be patient.I do have an exact date of birth so can check that. As far as I'm aware none of this family went to Australia - I think it was from another part of the family - there was a James born 1889 to Martin Hastings & Barbara Duncan. I haven't really looked at them - I haven't had anyone go to Australia, so that's another investigation !

Thanks again

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

Morag

Post by Morag » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 pm

As a sad update to this family - if it is my James, he married his second cousin Margaret Hastings - she was listed as his wife , and was living at the address she was at with her parents in 1911 - according to his form 30A when he arrived in Canada in 1920.
He travelled back to Scotland on 15th May 1934 with his 8 year old son, and I had previously found Margaret ( or Greta as she was known ) mentioned on a gravestone as having died in Toronto on 15th April 1934 - I just hadn't made the connection.The son was named after her father , so I'm not sure if there were more children.
I still cannot find a marriage for them in Scotland - it must be between 1911 when she was single and living with her parents, and 1920 when he said she was married.They may have married in Liverpool which was where he sailed from ,and then she returned to Falkirk when he went off to Canada.
I will keep searching , as I cannot fully prove that he was mine, but I now know that Greta was part of my extended family - so feel justified in researching her !
Morag