Robert Coleman (1917-1985) in Tompkins, New York, USA

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

ChipChip

Robert Coleman (1917-1985) in Tompkins, New York, USA

Post by ChipChip » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 pm

I am trying to establish what happened to Scot's born Robert after the 1940 American census until his death in 1985. He apparently married and may have had children who may still be living.
In 1940 he was living with his parents in Ithica, Tompkins, New York. He was a painter/decorator following in the footsteps of his father, also called Robert.
In 1985 his death record is on Findmypast which states that he is buried in Lot 1360 Grove Cemetery, Trumansburg, Tompkins, New York along with a Mary Caroline Coleman who died in Dec 1996, age 73. Mary is presumably his wife and I know nothing about her. There is no gravestone photo as far as I am aware.
I know all about Robert prior to 1940 including his emigration, with other family members, from Scotland to the USA. There is no need to go over that aspect.

Bob C

Re: Robert Coleman (1917-1985) in Tompkins, New York, USA

Post by Bob C » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:24 pm

His immigration in 1927 can be found here https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AKXLV-FDR

His 1930 Census entry ca be found herehttps://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4LP-65T

On 16 Oct 1940 his WW2 Draft Registration card said he was employed by Cornell University, 6 ft 11/2 in tall, ruddy complexion with blue eyes and red hair.

On 19 March 1941 he was single and enlisted in the US Army.

On Find A Grave the only Robert Coleman in Grove Cemetery has a birth year of 1927. This may be an entry error.

His sister Jennie is buried https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188 ... nie-meikle

A possible daughter is buried https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/180 ... y-k_-flood

His possible wife is buried https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104 ... ne-coleman

The information on the possible daughter and wife is from Find a Grave and is only supposition on my part. New York is very hard to research in because they have pretty much locked everything up for an extended period due to supposed "Privacy" concerns.
Searching for Baillie in
Kettle, Collessie, Auchtermuchty and Markinch Fife
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Hello Bob C,

You have been working hard on my behalf and I thank you for the very prompt response.
The Cornell University bit is new as is the possible daughter Lindsay Flood. She is almost certainly his daughter because the Lindsay part is a family surname which can also be used as a forename.

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:09 pm

You might want to check out the obituary information for Lindsay on Find A Grave as it lists living siblings in Tompkins County.
Searching for Baillie in
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Hello again Bob C,
The link you provided to the obituary of Lindsay Flood nee Coleman opened up a few doors. Robert and Mary Caroline had four children. Two are still living and I have decided not to pursue that side of things.
My main focus is now to try and find out more about Mary Caroline. I realise that will be difficult from what you have said.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
As an aside I note that you have provided some Scottish place names at the bottom of your posts. The spellings should be Auchtermuchty and Stirling.

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I found an obituary index on Ancestry for Robert S Coleman that lists his spouse as Mary Caroline Hatch Coleman.

Bob

Later,
She was born May 13, 1923 in Ithaca, NY
She married Robert on November 22, 1947.
Searching for Baillie in
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

ChipChip

Post by ChipChip » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Bob C,
Very well done. My problem has been solved in a few days. I must admit that I came across a possible Coleman/Hatch connection some time ago. However, there was insufficient information to confirm that he was the same Robert Coleman I was after. I am happy now to accept that he was.
The 'S' part of his middle name in some reports is a complete no-no. He was not born with it and never used it in all the records I have. His year of birth has sometimes been logged as 1927 which is also wrong.
It's onwards and northwards to other problems I have in Canada. That's for another day.
Thanks again.

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm

If I can be of any help in Canada, please let me know as I have researched in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Bob
Searching for Baillie in
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling