George Gallpen went to Australia .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

George Gallpen went to Australia .....

Post by Dennis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Hello,

Where do I look for a George Gallpen who 'may' have gone to Australia in 1854?

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:36 am

Dennis

I tried to search the NAA but it must be very busy as it was tooooo slow and I couldnt get a result in a general name search.

You could try:

http://www:theshipslist.com

But 1854 seems a bit thin on the ground
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:45 am

Hullo StewL and Dennis

I tried the link with no succes though the shipslist site is up. Noticed there was a wee problem with a punctuation mark (;)

Hope this one works

www.theshipslist.com

All the best
Catriona

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:06 am

OOOPS So there was

I should read my stuff closer before posting :oops:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:44 pm

Hello StewL & Catriona,

I have some better info on George Gallpen. He may have gone from IOW to London. From London he boarded the ship 'Asia' in May, 1851 arriving Adelaide Sept., 1851( I've found him on the Asia ); apparently in 1853 he boarded a ship 'Gipsy' and went to Victoria, settled for a bit in Williamstown where he has an interest in a hotel 'The Steampacket'. He marries in 1854 and lists his parents as James Gallpen & Jane Joblin.

How can I document the above?

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:39 am

Hello Dennis

If you can get hold of the "Pioneer Index" at your local library (over her it is the main state Library) there may be a chance that they have copies of those indexes. It covers the period 1788-1888 BMD's There are also separate indexes for Victoria, NSW and South Australia.

There are a number of various state/colony records on CD's but whether your main libraries have them I have no idea.
Stewie

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:53 am

Hi Stewie,

What I can try to do is possibly try for an interlibrary loan.

Can you post the titles & publishers of the indexes; just makes it easier for them to know what I am looking for :)
Would be cool if there were any isbn's too 8)

dennis

StewL

Post by StewL » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:23 am

Hello Dennis

These are the indexes on CD ROM that I know of.

The Victorian Pioneers Index 1837 ? 1888. 929.39VIC, ISBN 0864443455
The Tasmanian Pioneers Index 1803 ? 1899. 929.39TAS, ISBN 0864442998
The Western Australian Pioneers Index: 1841 ? 1905. Fiche Only??
The New South Wales Pioneers index: Pioneers series 1788 ? 1888. 929.39NEW ISBN 0864442920 (Pioneers series)
The New South Wales Pioneers index: Federation series 1889 ?1918 929.39. ISBN 0864442920

The Queensland Pioneers index 1829 – 1889
(It is around but I have not been able to find its ISBN). :?

There are a lot of different sources around on Micro Fiche. Whether they are available in peoples respective locations I have no idea. :D
Stewie

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:37 pm

Hello Dennis...

Checked White pages australia < www.whitepages.com.au > for Victoria and noticed 2 Gallpens in the Melbourne telephone directory and 12 in the Victorian regional (mainly rural) directory.

There are none listed in Western Australia or Tasmania that I could see .... a few in New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia but as it is a relatively uncommon name ... not that many..

It is always a resource to consider particularly as addresses are also listed.... Using telephone directories was one way we found relatives in Scotland ... with a common name of Ferguson ... from a family that had split up in Glasgow in 1865.

Hope this is of some help..

Regards

Stephan

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:59 am

I forgot to post this the other day for others who might be look for long losts in Victoria. Actually not too expensive either!

The Victorian Indexes can be searched, and images downloaded, at the pay-per-view site:
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/servlet/bdm_home
Stewie