Family research .....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

james garden

Family research .....

Post by james garden » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Hello fellow researchers, I am trying to trace my Gt.Grandmothers family or any one who may be able help. Her married name was Elsie Jappy (Mn. Farquhar) born at Portessie Banffshire circa: 1875. Married John Jappy born at Portessie or buckie circa:1878.They were married in Elgin in 1907. They emigrated to Australia in the mid 1920s, landed in Sidney & lived in Mortlake/ Mortdale area for the rest off their lives. John was a fisherman in Scotland & carried on as such in Australia .
Is there anyone able to point me in the right direction to obtain additional information, all help greatly appreciated.
Regards James.
Researching family tree names,Garden, Buchan ,Farquhar, Jappy, Smith, Bennett,Fruin,Ross,Peddie, Larkins,Surplice, UK. Australia, U.S.A. Canada.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi James
Have you looked for the family in the census data? That can sometimes give you quite a lot of useful backgeound information, but you may have done this already.

Best wishes
Lesley

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi James

On the 1907 MC you'll note who Elsie's parents were and also the fact that she was marrying for the second time.

I believe this is her with her family from the 1881 census....

Dwelling: George Farquhar
Census Place: Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203442 GRO Ref Volume 164 EnumDist 3 Page 12
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
George (Jur.) FARQUHAR M 31 M Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Fisherman
Lily FARQUHAR M 24 F Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Elspt FARQUHAR U 5 F Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Daur
John FARQUHAR U 3 M Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Son
James FARQUHAR U 1 M Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Son

If you track down the deaths of Elsie's parents (they were both still living at her marriage in 1907 so after that date) and if there was a good informant for the events then you should learn who their parents were.

Best wishes
Jean

Kymbo

Post by Kymbo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:07 am

Hi James

NSW BDM online have John died @ Rockdale 1964, father John & mother Mary. Also has Elspet Ann @ Hurstville 1949, father George & mother Lilly.
There also a death for a John Sutherland Jappy @ (place not mentioned) 1975, father John James & mother Maggie.

The is a marriage for a John S Jappy to a Daisy Smith @ Sydney 1924. Also a marriage for a Barbara H Jappy to Alfred G Bennett @ Hurstville 1934.

And this @ NAA site

Title
ROSS Ian born 12 July 1943; Barbara Jean (nee Jappy) born 8 April 1947; Alison Ann born 25 April 1966; travelled per ANGELINA LAURO departing Southampton on 23 December 1968 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme
Series number
A1877 Control symbol
23/12/1968 ANGELINA LAURO ROSS I Contents date range
1968 - 1968

Access status
Not yet examined Location
Canberra Barcode

And

Title
Jappy, Edward Charles; Army Number - 266032; Date of birth - 28 November 1918
Series number
B4747 Control symbol
JAPPY/EDWARD CHARLES Contents date range
1937 - circa 1946

Access status
Open Location
Melbourne Barcode

You can do further searches at

NSW BDM http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

NAA Site http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp

Hope this helps

Kym

PS>> Mortdale/Mortlake/Hurtsville are suburbs close to each other, about 15 mins SW of city of Sydney
Searching- GLASGOW AREA: Elborn, Anderson,
Lottimer, Aitken, Bassett, Eaton, Simpson, Cameron, Jack, Pedley, Bryson, Berrie..

james garden

family research

Post by james garden » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:14 am

Hello to all you kind people for the information that you have forwarded to me reference the above subject one or two points seem to ring bells , I will look into these A.S.A.P.& let you know how I get on, however this is the 1st. posting that I have made & I am uncertain as to how to reply I just hope that you all see this I hope that i have reached everyone,please let me know .
Regards James Garden
Researching family tree names,Garden, Buchan ,Farquhar, Jappy, Smith, Bennett,Fruin,Ross,Peddie, Larkins,Surplice, UK. Australia, U.S.A. Canada.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:56 pm

Hello James

You're doing fine in your postings on TalkingScot so no probs there! In order to access any research on Elsie or her parents or siblings in Scotland you would need to utilized the online BMD and census records found at Scotlands People. In case you've not used it before it's a pay per veiw site but quite reasonable to obtain copies of statutory records and such right from your home computer and printer. If you click on the link button at the top of our forum entitled ScotlandsPeople it will act as a direct link to the site. You'll need to register and use a credit card to purchase a minimum of credits before being permitted to conduct any searches. Please ask for further guidance if necessary....we're here to help!!

Best wishes
Jean

Kymbo

Post by Kymbo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:35 am

Hi James

Just found 2 listing for the current telephone directory for NSW, as follows;

<names, addresses and phone numbers of living persons removed. LesleyB. Perhaps try www.whitepages.com.au >

Maybe you could try writing to the above, to see if they are from the same line....probably will be, it's an unsual name

Kym (Australia)
Lottimer, Aitken, Bassett, Eaton, Simpson, Cameron, Jack, Pedley, Bryson, Berrie..

Kymbo

Post by Kymbo » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:42 am

And this too on Rootsweb

Looks like your lot as the third child has the mothers maiden name as her middle name.

John Jappy m Elspeth Ann FARQUHAR

Children

Barbara Helen b: 9 Jun 1919 Portessie Scotland
Mary b ?
Elsie Farquhar b ?

contact email Robert Stevens bostconATbigpond.com

Kym

<@ replaced by AT in email address. LesleyB>

james garden

family research ref.Jappy.

Post by james garden » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi! Kym, I have tried contacting the person you suggested but for whatever the reason, I keep being told that the email address is NOT REGISTERED, do you by any chance have an alternative address.
Would appreciate any help/ advice that you can give.

James.

Kymbo

Post by Kymbo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi James

Sorry, I can't help you. I found that info on the ROOTSWEB site. Perhaps you could search the site again as he may have changed his email address.

Good luck, Kym