Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Born in Morocco & England

Post by Dennis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi:)

I've got two boys born in Morocco:

Jock Lennox b1901 Marrakesh Morocco

Allan Lennox b1903 Marrakesh Morocco

I have no idea of what became of them. Their parents Allan Lennox & Bethia Lockie, both missionaries and from Scotland, married in 1895 in Dar-al-Baida. I know about the eldest son Albert Mitchell Lennox b1899, but drawing a blank on the other two.

I also have three (3) daughters from Albert Mitchell Lennox marriage to Ida Kathleen Russell

Daughter* b1929 Bexhill on sea,sussex, england

Daughter* b1932 Bexhill on sea,sussex, england

Daughter* b1937 Casablanca, Morocco

I have no idea of what became of any of those daughters, kinda hoping that one or more are still alive.

Regards. dennis

* Names removed in keeping with policy on possible living persons. See: http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6601 Frances
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Hello Dennis,

I had a look where I could but couldn’t find anything for those listed but came across a couple of items you may be interested in.

In “House of Commons Parliamentary Papers” there are a number of reports titled “Annual Series of Trade Reports, (Trade. Navigation. Shipping: Annual and Miscellaneous Series (Foreign Countries)”. Each District report covers about three pages.

Your Mr Lennox submitted the following:

1907 - Morocco City - Mr. Consular Agent A. Lennox
1908 - Mazagan - Mr Acting Vice Consul Lennox
1910 - Morocco City - Mr. Consular Agent Alan Lennox
1912/13 - Marrakesh - Mr. Vice-Consul A. Lennox
1914 - Marrakesh - Mr. Vice-Consul A. Lennox

I couldn’t find anything earlier or later than the above. If you want a copy of any of these please let me know and I’ll email them.

Your Rev. J. Lennox gets a mention on page 374 of this 1909 book available for download in various formats http://www.archive.org/details/stewarto ... 00welluoft

You could check the three daughter’s names in the London Times Archive from say 1950 to 1970 or maybe trawl through the quarterly marriage images for that period at Ancestry, that’s if an English marriage is a possibility.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Thompson

Re: Born in Morocco & England

Post by Thompson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Allan Lennox ( who was a vice Consul in Morocco ) and Bethia Lockie came out to South Africa from Morocco in 1947 after WW-2 as their 2 sons had settled there. Bethia died c1951 and Allan died in 1961.
Albert Mitchell Lennox - known as Mick-and Ida Kathleen Lennox ( formerly Russell ) were my parents. Ida died in 1977 and Mick died in 1979 both in South Africa.
Jock Lennox married Nel ( surname & children not yet traced ) and lived in the UK or Scotland. He visited his brothers Albert Mitchell and Allan Lennox and their wives in South Africa c 1965 & I have a picture of them all together which is attached. Allan died c 1980 in South Africa. I attended his funeral but am uncertain of the exact date.
Allan Lennox & Winnie had 3 children:-
xxxx c1937 who married xxxxxxx DOB unknown
xxxx c 1940 & have not yet traced his descendants
xxxx c 1942 & have not yet traced her.
Am trying to trace the Lennox line of ancestors . I have William Lennox, a gentleman farmer, who married Elizabeth Mitchell on 8th June 1849 in Galston, Ayr Scotland.
I do not have any records prior to that.
Nel Grandpa Gran Jock Winnie Allan 3 brothers 040.jpg
Nel Grandpa Gran Jock Winnie Allan 3 brothers 040.jpg (216.35 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
From left to right:- Nel Lennox, Jock's wife, Albert Mitchell Lennox, Ida Kthleen Lennox, Jock Lennox, Winnie Lennox and Allan Lennox her husband. 1965 in South Africa : [cheers]

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello Thompson and [TS_welcome]
I had to remove the names of the children of Allan and Winnie so they, or their family don't get an unpleasant shock when this post comes up in a Google search for their name. We have a policy of not listing names of possibly living persons for reasons of privacy. Please read the topic on mentioning living persons in the Essential Reading section: http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6601
Thompson wrote: Am trying to trace the Lennox line of ancestors . I have William Lennox, a gentleman farmer, who married Elizabeth Mitchell on 8th June 1849 in Galston, Ayr Scotland.
I do not have any records prior to that.
Just looking back at the obvious William Lennox in Galston in 1841, William's parents appear to be John and Agness, but if you download his death certificate it should confirm this as well as give his mother's maiden surname. Following him and Elizabeth through the censuses they remain in Galston through 1881, then by 1891 are retired and living in Auchinleck. They are gone by 1901. Just playing with the search at scotlandspeople.gov.uk it looks like he died in Auchinleck, Ayr in 1897. I can't easily find Elizabeth's death, though. On his death certificate it should say whether at that point he was married or a widower.

All the best,
Sarah

Thompson

Post by Thompson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 am

Thank you Sarah. I am relatively new to this and am not sure how to find the death certificate.
However I do have the marriage certificate so am sure that William Lennox married in 1849 and this does not tie in with a birth date of 1841. Is there a record prior to that, say around 1820?
Regards

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Thompson,
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. By 1841, I meant the 1841 census (the first one accessible that lists people by name). William Lennox was 20 in that census. Ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so that makes him anything between 20-24 years old.

To find the census on a free site, go here: http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Choose 1841 from the drop-down menu and search for William Lennox in Ayrshire. William age 20 is the third result. Click on "show household" and you will see the entire household. All ages 15 and above were rounded down, so there are probably not two sets of twins in the family, in spite of the way it looks!

To find the death certificate (can't be done for free, but no one said this was an inexpensive hobby!) go to scotlandspeople.co.uk and register. You will need to buy some credits before you can download any results, but searching is free and much can be learned just from narrowing down a search. As I said, I believe William died in Auchinleck, Ayr in 1897, which you can find by searching in the Statutory Registers: Deaths database. He and his wife were living there in the 1891 census, so this seems correct. If you download the image his parents' names should be given on the form.

Don't hesitate to post again if you get confused!

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:38 am

Hello Sarah & Thompson,

There are Wills & Testaments at ScotlandsPeople (now only 10 credits each)
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

- LENNOX JOHN 18/08/1849 FARMER IN NEWFIELD, PARISH OF GALSTON INVENTORY AYR SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES SC6/44/17

- LENNOX WILLIAM 19/05/1898 SOMETIME FARMER, NEWFIELD, GALSTON, THEREAFTER IN BINNAN, STRAITON, AFTERWARDS RESIDING IN BURNS COTTAGE, AUCHINLECK, D. 15/06/1897 AT AUCHINLECK, TESTATE AYR SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES SC6/44/61

- LENNOX WILLIAM 11/05/1898 SOMETIME FARMER, NEWFIELD, GALSTON, THEREAFTER IN BINNAN, STRAITON, AFTERWARDS RESIDING IN BURNS COTTAGE, AUCHINLECK, D. 15/06/1897 AT AUCHINLECK, TESTATE WILL AYR SHERIFF COURT WILLS SC6/46/26

Before searching for death and other records of particular parishes in the pre 1855 Old Parish Records it can be a good idea to check if they actually exist. http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/re ... -oprs.html For Galston there are no deaths to speak of, also there appears to be a problem with older marriages.

However on this page for Loudoun Parish burials there are some Lennox names associated with Newfield Galston buried in Newmilns Church Yard which is right next to Galston. http://loudounkirk.wetpaint.com/page/Lo ... +Surname+L

William Lennox, farmer of Newfield got into a bit of strife in 1875 over a foot-and-mouth outbreak. See column 6 of this page. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Fk ... 7%2C731722

Hope that helps,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am

Nice finds, Alan! I wonder if the 1849 inventory would say anything about his children. It seems pretty clear that William is the son of John, but the more supporting evidence the better!

Best wishes,
Sarah