Henry Dyer - Imperial College of Engineering, Tokyo .....

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Siberia, Far East

Moderator: Global Moderators

heymarky

Henry Dyer - Imperial College of Engineering, Tokyo .....

Post by heymarky » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:45 pm

There is a rather famous Scottish Dyer who went from Glasgow to Tokyo and then back again:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.hunter/hd/index.htm

My Dyers went from Ayr to Glasgow in the early 1800s (see below) and so I am curious to know if this Henry is one of my Henry Dyers. (even have one that is about the right age..)

:oops: I have to admit that this is a case of Wouldn't-it-be-nice(TM), but I lived in Japan for 7 years, my wife is from Japan and my children have Japanese passports. (would make for a nice brag to the in-laws!)

Anyway, since this Henry is modestly famous, might someone have already done any research on him?

He is not in the 'Famous Scots' list on SP. Is there anywhere else I could look?
Lyons and Dyers, McBeans, oh my!

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 am

Have you looked at this site?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.hunter/hd/

It has some family details: parents names [John Dyer & Margaret Morton] and Brother & sister's details [ Robert and Janet].
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:35 am

Hi Mark,

Another page on that website tells you that Henry is to be found in the censuses with his family. This should show you more information about his parents and siblings to see if you find any connections to your family.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.hunter/hd/EarlyYears.htm

All the best,

AndrewP
パタソン アンドリュー

heymarky

Post by heymarky » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:58 am

AndrewP wrote: Another page on that website tells you that Henry is to be found in the censuses with his family. This should show you more information about his parents and siblings to see if you find any connections to your family.
Have a John about the right age, but my John's children don't match Henry's siblings. The two Johns could be cousins, but I will have to dig back another generation (or two) to figure that out...

Dr. Henry's father John was born in Ireland while his father was stationed there as a soldier. Does that suggest any new places to look for clues?
パタソン アンドリュー wrote: AndrewP
パタソン アンドリュー
いつもお世話になっています。

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am

heymarky wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
パタソン アンドリュー wrote: AndrewP
パタソン アンドリュー
いつもお世話になっています。
I'm afraid いつもお世話になっています。 is beyond me. I spent 5 one-week training courses (in and around 京都) with a few additional days of tourist time in Japan with my previous job (with 三菱電機), so didn't get far beyond recognising some place names, and some people's names (my own included). Thankfully when eating out, if they did not have an english language menu, there was usually a selection of plastic replicas of the plates of food in the window display, and if need be, you could go outside with the waiter and point at the meal of your choice.

All the best,

AndrewP
パタソン アンドリュー

heymarky

Post by heymarky » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:30 am

いつもお世話になっています。 = "Itsu mo o-sewa ni natte imasu"

Means roughly "you always take good care of me", in other words, thanks for all of your help! :)

And now I know what the 'P' stands for! 8)