Eagle Inn, Condorrat

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

winslowsmom

Eagle Inn, Condorrat

Post by winslowsmom » Mon May 05, 2008 3:51 am

One of my gggrandfathers died at the Eagle Inn in Condorrat in 1927.

Does anyone know if this still exists?
On the internet, I can find Eagle Inns in
Airdie, Motherwell, Coatbridge, and Kirkintilloch.
Is one of these a likely suspect?

Now Condorrat has been absorbed by New Cumbernauld
At the time, his usual residence was in Cumbernauld.

Thanks for any ideas.

Cathy H
Fountain Valley,California

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 pm

I had a quick look at an old map - 1923 on http://www.old-maps.co.uk
there appeared to be a PH [public house] at the cross road in the centre of the village at that time.

I also looked at a WWII map I have and tried to compare them to the present-day area - I can find very little of the original Condorrat left and it seems the farms have been swallowed up too which makes it harder.

I *think* it would have been on the Main Road and present B802 junction area. Both the Condorrat Arms and the Masonic Arms pubs addresses seem to match up to that general area but I can't ffind any images to see if they could be in an older building.

Perhaps others have more information?
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue May 06, 2008 5:45 am

Hello Cathy and Wilma,

A search in Google Books for “Eagle Inn””condorrat” brings up
Journal - Institution of Highway Engineers – published 1948. (No Preview)

travelled by two buses along the new south carriageway from Hole Farm via the roundabout to Eagle Inn, then to the bridge on the Condorrat By-pass.

A Google Book search for "travelled by two buses along" gives you

The party then visited the Vertical Sand Drain Area, and later travelled by two buses along the new south carriageway from Hole Farm via the roundabout to

Giving a total of:

The party then visited the Vertical Sand Drain Area, and later travelled by two buses along the new south carriageway from Hole Farm via the roundabout to Eagle Inn, then to the bridge on the Condorrat By-pass.

Does that help with the map?

Alan

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Tue May 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Thank you very much Alan and Wilma

This information I think is most helpful. I will save the notes, and have something to go on when I make my next trip to Scotland. (ha ha if the dollar ever rebounds, but then I guess that's not good for you).

Anyhow, thanks again.

Cathy H
Fountain Valley. CA

MJayne

Post by MJayne » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Cathy,

I live in Condorrat. Do you have an address for the Eagle Inn? If so, I would be happy to see if I can find the building and take a picture for you. I suspect it is the Masonic Arms now - it is an old looking building - but an address would confirm it.

Also, if you have the address of his usual residence, I may be able to track that down for you too.

Jayne

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Hello Jayne
Thank you very much for your kind offer. I would very much like a photo
of the Masonic Arms. We'll just go on faith that it was probably the Eagle Inn. There is no address of it on the 1927 death cert, and no "usual address".
He was a 71 yr old widower, maybe he stayed there in exchange for cleaning or something. He died of bronchitis at 6 am and his son was present (no address for him either).
However, if it is convenient and still exists, his parents lived at
103 Croymill, in Condorat, Cumbernauld, for the 1891 census.

Best regards,
Cathy

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Kathy

Just a thought :idea:
If the Eagle Inn was still in existence in 1927 there is a possibility that the address is recorded in a trade Directory or Telephone book of the period.
The Mitchell has whole shelves of them :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

MJayne

Post by MJayne » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:11 pm

I doubt I am going to be at the Mitchell any time soon, but if someone else who is going could look up the address, I would be happy to go hunting. I don't think the Masonic Arms is the right building. Looking at the 1923 map, the M.A. is located a wee bit further up in the centre of where the road forks. I have a strong suspicion that if the Eagle Inn is the building marked P.H. then it is a building that now serves as a shop.

I'll take a walk along at the weekend. As I said, if someone can get the address from a trade directory or phone book we should be more certain.

Haven't done any searching yet on the parent's address.

Jayne

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:11 pm

For what it’s worth it looks like the Eagle Inn was there in 1907. Here’s a story in the Cumbernauld News about a lady born there. (found using http://ixquick.com/uk/ )
http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/news? ... id=3095489

If you go to the Scotsman Digital Archive advanced search http://archive.scotsman.com/search.cfm and search for Eagle Inn Condorrat as a phrase you’ll find one article dated 1933. If you search for Masonic Arms Condorrat as a phrase you’ll find one article dated 1926. Without seeing the articles and assuming that what the search picked up was an actual phrase this would possibly support Jayne’s thoughts that the Eagle Inn isn’t the Masonic Arms. There’s no result in the Scotsman for Condorrat Arms.

In the House of Commons Parliamentary Papers there’s an item “1890-91 Return relating to Premises licensed for Sale of Intoxicating Liquors in Burghs and Counties of Scotland” page 189, County of Dumbarton. I couldn’t find anything more recent.

There are only two entries for Condorrat, both are Public Houses but the exact address and the name of the premises aren’t shown
1. Owner of Premises: James Allan, Publican, Condorrat. Licence Holder: James Allan.
2. Owner of Premises: Alexander Watson, Publican, Condorrat. Licence Holder: Alexander Watson.

Maybe the 1891 census info for these two gents, if that’s a practical proposition, will contain clues.

Alan

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Wow Alan,
What great research! I will indeed go check out the 1891 census this afternoon (my local LDS family history center has free Ancestry).
I'll post what I find out, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

It does indeed sound as if the two inns are different places. Maybe I should write Agnes McLaren (the 100 year old in that article). She seems to have a good memory. Also several of my rellies lived on Smithstone Row the same time as she did. It sounds as if there wasn't much electricity or amentities at home then, not so uncommon for the time I suppose. Maybe they went to the Eagle Inn to be born, die or recover since it may have had electricity.

Thanks to Russell and Jayne for your input as well.

Be back soon,
Cathy