GLEN CINEMA DISASTER 1929 PAISLEY

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

nelmit

Re: GLEN CINEMA DISASTER 1929 PAISLEY

Post by nelmit » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:34 am

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot Mike. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your stories, it was lovely to read them (apart from the obvious) and took me back to the times I also tried to avoid the usherette so I could sit through the films again. :D

Your gran sounds like a great person and how amazing that she passed on her memories and you are keeping them alive.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Regards,
Annette

mrsl

Post by mrsl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi all,
Particular thanks to Currie for listing the injured children. My Gran was in Canada when this disaster happened and said she lost three cousins. I have never identified which children were her cousins but knowing those injured will help me as she may have said injured or hurt and the meaning lost over time.
It was an awful tragedy - and not even due to a fire - the smoking film reel was a minimal risk - truly the crush was the fatal event.
Mrsl

peskipiksee

Post by peskipiksee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello!

You can't imagine how surprised I was to see there were still posts being made to this topic. As to how I, a 32-year old Canadian woman, would know about it is that my grandfather is a survivor. That's right, he's still alive! He and two of his older brothers were there and they all survived. When he told me the story about it when I was younger I really didn't recognize or realize the significance of it but now that he's 91, I've come to realize how important this piece of history is especially as his is still a verbal history.

Also, he knows a few of the children on the list who died. He got a bit teary eyed when I printed out a list for him a few years ago as he remembered them and said the names. I think, for him, saying the names out loud felt like a good-bye he wasn't able to give at the time this happened.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask him, please feel free to list them and he would be more than willing to answer them if he can.

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 am

Hello peskipiksee
[TS_welcome]
Pleased to hear you have a friend who remembers the disaster
Hope to hear from you both
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

citybloke

Post by citybloke » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:27 pm

New to this forum but very interested in the story of the Glen Cinema Disaster.
My uncle James Reilly later to become Rev. Fr. James Reilly survived the disaster but his young pal Enzo who he attended the cinema with him that fateful afternoon did not.
Fr. Reilly sadly passed away on Tuesday 28th June 2016 aged 97 years of age - he was an ordained priest for 72 years.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Welcome to TalkingScot, citybloke [talkingscot]

Happy to have you join us! Obviously, there was a plan for little James' life that day. To remember always Enzo, and to enhance the lives of others. Thanks for letting us share in the joy of a life well-lived in the service to others.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Suzanne S

Post by Suzanne S » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Louise I know this post is older but I too have recently been researching the disaster as a result of one of the victims being in my family tree - Robert MCConnell whose sister was later killed as a volunteer nurse in the Paisley blitz