Rashfield Farm

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm

On the marriage cert of my Great Grandmother, her residence is given as Rashfield Farm, the year was 1893, can anyone provide any information on what Rashfield Farm was at the time and what may might have my G/Grandmother been doing there, workwise.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Does the MC not give her occupation?

Have you checked the 1891 census for her? Even if she is at a different address then, it might give an occupation clue.

Added later: Would that be the Rashfield Farm in Kilmun, Argyll? If so, Google it. There are a few search results, some seeming to be family related.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 pm

What registration district was the marriage certificate issued in?

All the best,

AndrewP

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks Emanday and Andrew, yes, it was the Rashfield Farm in Kilmun, Argyll, that is where my G/Grandparents where married, I had a look on the cert, it says she was a Domestic Servant, so I suppose what I'm asking is , was Rashfield Farm a working farm or a large house, I googled the name, though it gave a few brief little things it never really described what Rashfield Farm was or who owned it.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:45 am

Rashfield is a very small district in Kilmun. When I was a child it even had its own primary school. I would think that Rashfield Farm would be just that....the main farm in Rashfield. My aunt who was a farmer's wife always had a maid at her farm which was and is an ordinary working farm. In my memory they tended to run off with the head ploughman. Up until quite recently running a farm was a very labour intensive operation.

Anne

Would the owner not show on one of the censuses along with your relative?
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am

Hi again

The 1891 Census offers you Maggie McIntyre and Mary McCaskill both from South Uist as servants on farms in Rashfield. Could be related or just close friends. There is also a Jane McGregor but she is the servant in the schoolhouse.

Are either of those your ancestor?

The owner of Maggie's farm was Archibald Marshall and Mary's was Archibald McPherson.

Got to go now. Leg giving me jip or would check to see who was still there in 1901.

Anne

Realise should not have said owner. Should be owner or tenant....one way or another the farmer. Much of the land around there was owned by the Younger family of the Younger Botanical Gardens at Benmore though no guarantee that these farms were. Can't remember how they made their money, could have been shipping but too sore to take the time to Google.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks Ann, that reply made me laugh as my G/Gtandfather was a ploughman, wether he was the head ploughman I dont know, the other thing is that Mary Flora was also from South Uist, it is possible that Archibald MacPherson may have been her brother or a relative at least as Mary Flora was also a MacPherson. I have come across the MacIntyre name in my research on South Uist but no MacCaskill, as yet.

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Have looked on S.P. at the 1891 census under MacPherson and the 1901 census under her married name MacEachern and variants of the name with no luck.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Is the Mary F McPherson servant aged 23 in Bailedhu in Howmore, South Uist the daughter of Alexander and Ann not her??

Anne

Yup. That's her. The parents are right.
Anne

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi

I'm confused here. Do you have a death for Mary Flora?? It looks to me as though Peter gets married again in 1896 in Alloa stating that he is a bachelor!!

Anne
Anne