William Garrett Ainslie

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Donna Latvis

William Garrett Ainslie

Post by Donna Latvis » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 am

I am having trouble finding information on my great-great-great grandfather William Garrett Ainslie. When he moved to Cohasset Massachusetts from Canada he wouldn't give any information about his parents and any siblings he may have had. I can't find any records that list any parents or place of birth. He told family that he was born in Holland and any records of his birth were destroyed in a fire. But there was never any fire that destroyed birth records.
He was born on April 1, 1782. And died April 19, 1863. He married Margaret Powers in Nova Scotia, Canada in 1815.
On Ancestry.com it gives potential parents as Alexander Ainslie and Isable Spears. But I can't find proof that they were his parents.
My father is going to be 88 on March 3rd. I would love to be able to solve this for him. Find out where our ancestors came from and if we have family in Scotland.

I would be so thankful for any help.

Heather

Re: William Garrett Ainslie

Post by Heather » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi Donna,

Do you have any idea where he may have lived in Nova Scotia ?

Heather
Fulton, Murdoch, McLean, Graham, McMath, Agnew, Lynch, Lidster, Gordon, Tosh, Harvie

Donna Latvis

Re: William Garrett Ainslie

Post by Donna Latvis » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:29 pm

William Garrett Ainslie lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He met and married Margaret Powers on November 2nd 1815 at St. Paul's Anglican Church. He was a rigger at the dockyard. When William and Margaret were married the marriage bond had him as Garret Hensley.