Menzies family Lanarkshire/Stirlingshire (Coal Miners).....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mollydog

Menzies family Lanarkshire/Stirlingshire (Coal Miners).....

Post by Mollydog » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:41 am

My grandmother is Marion Menzies who married James Beattie in 1921. I am searching for anyone who has family links to the following Menzies family members:

- John Menzies married Margaret Ramage 1895
- John Menzies married Isabella Warden 1872
- John Menzies married Marion Lumsden 1854
- George Menzies married Rachel Tait 1824.

Menzies families lived at the following:
- Annan Street, West Calder, Edinburgh
- Limerigg, Slamannan, Stirlingshire
- Watsonville Rows, Hamilton, Lanarkshire
- Nimmos Rows, Longriggend by Airdrie, Lanarkshire
- Banknock Rows, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire.

Anyone who has any connection to my Menzies family I would like to hear from you.
Regards
Mollydog (Australian)
Searching: Beattie and Menzies

Blacklabmadgirl

Your Menzies Family

Post by Blacklabmadgirl » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:22 pm

Hi Mollydog

I am researching my husband's family (Leckie) and have a Janet Menzies married to a John Leckie in 1794 that I think may connect with your lines. This John Leckie died in 1855 (a great year for Scottish records as his death records show all of his children and his wife, occupation, where he was born and where he lived and was buried). Although these people are not in my husband's direct line, I have some information on them in that their son, Alexander (bap 1797) was a cousin to one of my husband's direct ancestors. Alexander was a surgeon (formally trained!) who went into practice with Dr Thomas Leckie (my husband's direct line) in Bonhill. Alexander went on to develop a new treatment for cholera and had several articles published. He died in 1877 - I have a copy of a very long obituary on him which shows how well liked and respected he was.

Janet Menzies and John Leckie had 9 children in total as far as I can see. One of their other sons, William, was a farmer in Gooseholm.

Does any of this help at all?

Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:57 pm

Hi Blacklabmadgirl

I am not sure of the connection, if any, with Janet Menzies. My search so far takes me back to my ggg grandfather George Menzies who was born in 1797 Dumfries. Your Janet Menzies may be a cousin or aunty or some relation.

Anyway, I assume you have a black labrador? I have a chocolate labrador named Molly!

Regards
Mollydog (Australian)
Regards
Mollydog (Australian)

Blacklabmadgirl

Post by Blacklabmadgirl » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:29 am

Hi Mollydog

Quite right - I have two black labradors! I'm mad about them and they are a pair of mad little things!!!

Anyway, just checked my notes again and found that the Janet Menzies I have in my lines was born 1770 (St Ninians, Stirling I think). She died aged 84 and is buried in Lennoxtown. All the children she had with John Leckie (who she married in 1794) were baptised in Campsie.

I seem to remember seeing a message on Rootschat about this family from "Wehuntsam" - and now I've checked back, I did post a reply and gave a whole load of information but I've never heard anything from "Wehuntsam" .... perhaps he's finished hunting!

Regards.

Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm

With regard to your Leckie family, I am also researching my Beattie family and have just noticed on searching my notes that my grandfather's sister, Catherine Beattie married a Jimmy Leckie, I assume around the 1930s. My grandfather James Beattie and his six sisters all lived in Banknock, Stirlingshire, so assume Jimmy Leckie lived around that area also.

Regards
Mollydog
Regards
Mollydog (Australian)

Blacklabmadgirl

Post by Blacklabmadgirl » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Mollydog

I haven't come across a Jimmy Leckie in the '30's - yet! I do know, however that the majority of my Leckie family stayed in the Dumbarton area so I'm not sure that your Jimmy is one of "mine" if you know what I mean. I tend to try to keep going back and then, when I get stuck, think laterally and work my way out ...... if I come across this Jimmy I'll come back to you.

In the meantime .... good luck with your research.

All the Best.

Cousins

Re: Menzies family Lanarkshire/Stirlingshire (Coal Miners).....

Post by Cousins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 am

Hi, we are the three great granddaughters of Maggie Ramage Menzies. Her husband John Menzies was killed in a pit accident. Their son John Menzies was sent to Canada. Their daughters we believe went to stay with other families. We believe these family names were Beattie and Bateman. Maggie Ramage Menzies went on to marry John Clark. Their daughter jemmia died, we have her death certificate, her death was registered by her uncle Adam Menzies. Our Gran was born in 1905, her name was Margaret Ramage Menzies. We believe John Menzies to be dead by this time. However our Grans adoptive family, named her Bella Easton.
We would like to find out more about John Menzies who was shipped to Canada. And we are in the process, pre covid, to link Madge Clark who died in hospital, as the same Maggie Clark/Maggie Ramage Menzies.
The names you have are the names we have seen on other documents, we are interested to know if these names and people are our Grans relatives.

The Cousins.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Menzies family Lanarkshire/Stirlingshire (Coal Miners).....

Post by SarahND » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 am

Hello Cousins and a warm [TS_welcome]

Mollydog last signed into the forum in September of 2007, so I'm not sure if she will get your message. With some luck, she will still have the same email address and will get notification of your post. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Sarah