Grandfathers Military Service

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

turns88

Grandfathers Military Service

Post by turns88 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 am

Hello from Christchurch New Zeland,

I have recently joined your group and am hoping someone can help me. I have carried out extensive research on my family history and am proud to say we are Scottish. While my father was born in New Zealand in 1928, his brother and one of his sisters were born in Glasgow, as were both his parents (my Grandparents). I have a photo of my Grandfather wearing a "Hospital Blues" uniform which was worn by other ranks while recovering from wounds sustained during the war. He is surrounded by other soldiers and two nurses. My problem is that I cannot find any military records for him. With his age at the outbreak of WW1 being 26 I am sure he would have had to serve and I assume he would have enlisted in Glasgow.

His name is Angus Turner, born 28 August 1888, Port Charlotte, Kilchoman. In the 1901 Scottish Census he was living with his family at 9 Morrison St, Glasgow. In 1911 he was living at 2 Morrison Street Glasgow and was working as a Grocers Assistant. He married Jane Pollock on the 31 August 1920 at St Enoch Parish Church, Blythswood, Glasgow. He was living at 2 Morrison Street when he got married, once married he moved into his wifes family home at 10 Fauldhouse St Glasgow. He, his Wife Jane and thier two children emigrated to New Zealand in 1925.

Last year I was lucky enough to visit Scotland and drive down Morrison Street, Fauldhouse Way and some other parts of relevance to our family. Unfortunatley I was unable to find the cemetry where my Great Grandaparents are buried, but intend on coming back soon to do that and to visit Islay & Wigtown where my ancestors are from.

So, having said all that, can anyone help me locate any information of my Grandfathers Military history? I have spent a lot of time trying but seem to have hit a brick wall.

Any help appreciated

thank you
Wayne
Wayne Turner
Christchurch, New Zealand

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Grandfathers Military Service

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 am

Hello Wayne and [TS_welcome]

There is a medal card for an Angus Turner, have you looked into that one? I haven't a clue what all the numbers mean, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come on and help. This is the index information:

Name: Angus Turner
Regiment or Corps: 1st/4 Seaforth Highlanders, 460 Agric Coy, Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 2294, 489631, 489631

There is more information on the card itself referring to the various medals.

Hope this is the right person!

All the best,
Sarah

turns88

Post by turns88 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 am

Thank you Sarah, yes I found this card last night, but struggling to find any further information which might confirm this. - Thank You
Wayne Turner

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 am

When I was looking for a potential WWI soldier recently, it was sugested I look at the church memorials and rolls of honour for the time.

Many of them can be found here:
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot.html

If you have an idea of what church his family may have attended or the areas they lived in, then you may very well find his name on one of these.
I hadn't realised at the time that theses names were not just of the Fallen but some places commemerated all who had served from that congregation, school or workplace.

If he was wounded - likely from your photo - then his name may have been on newspaper casualty lists?

The Seaforth Highlanders have a museum at Fort George.
Wilma

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am

Hello Wayne, welcome to Talking Scot!

Your grandfather's records have survived and I took the liberty of downloading copies, which, if you send me a PM with your person e-mail address, I'll send you copies.

There's a huge amount of detail contained in these - even a record of him having his pay docked for appearing 'On Parade' without shaving!!

His next of Kin is listed as Father, Archibald Turner, 2 Morrison Street, Glasgow.

The various regimental numbers were allocated to him when he was transferred between regiments, but all will become clear once you read through the pages (all 25 of them!). He enlisted at Glasgow, on 22nd September 1914 aged 25 years

Anne

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Nice find, Anne!
If anyone else is looking for it on Ancestry, he is indexed as "Augus Turner" :roll:

Best wishes,
Sarah

turns88

Post by turns88 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 am

Thank you so much for your help Anne. i have sent you a PM with my contact email. I am really looking forward to seeing the information. :D :D :D
Wayne Turner

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:59 pm

On their way Wayne! :D

Anne