The Gods Smiled on Me Today!

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

JustJean

The Gods Smiled on Me Today!

Post by JustJean » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:18 pm

I wish I could attribute this success story to TalkingScot and certainly there have been past moments when I've had incredible lucky finds and good advice and assistance from many many TS members.....but today I've had an exceptional breakthrough that is too good not to share with everyone!

I got up this morning and made the promise that today was the day I would clean out my inbox.....I've read them all but had a load of pruning and filing of old emails to attend :( . In amongst them was the lastest newsletter from Ulster Ancestry and sometimes I just chuck these in the trash without time to peruse them. This one had a reminder to check their bulletin board for anyone researching your surnames....soooo.....I clicked on the link.....and went to Antrim.....and scanned the page half heartedly......and there back about 6-8 weeks there was a new member who was researching McNeilly from Antrim and they had had no replies. I posted a response and went back to my inbox cleaning. Within a few minutes I had a PM from the poster. Seems they had just returned from a trip to Ireland and PRONI and were just unpacking...also invited me to email direct. I wasted no time in dusting off the McNeilly folder, diving in, and posting what scant details I had and the suspicions I also had as to possible connections to kin and townlands and stated the earliest couple I knew of were David McNeilly and Agnes Cathcart the supposed parents of my Margaret McNeilly McMeekin b abt 1815. [-o< A couple hours later I had an email. In their research at Proni they had found David and Agnes having a son Thomas 6 Oct 1825 in Fernisky!!! \:D/

Needless to say this is just the tip of a huge McNeilly iceberg!! I can hardly believe the timing of the circumstances that brought this about and am at the moment sitting down.

For all you researchers that need some encouragement....I have plenty to share today. :D Don't ever underestimate the amazing connections that can be achieved through the internet and reliable message boards.
:lol: Drinks are on the house! :shock: and Happy Dancing all around \:D/

pinkshoes

jean's happy day!

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Wow that's fantastic Jean. I'm sure you're buzzing! You're right about the power of the internet - it's just amazing, and what a small world its become thanks to it :D

The rest of us will just have to continue ferreting about :?

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:09 am

Hello Jean

I have to agree with the internet. Just last week I received an email from a person who it turns out, is directly related to My James Barton and Margaret McLuckie. Unfortunately we are both stuck at the same point, but it was nice to get some more names on the family and we were both able to add one or two to our lists.

I will have to re-post the information shortly, on the forum. :D :D

Oh! and by the way they live in the same state in Western Australia, now isnt that a coincidence!!!
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Southpaw

Post by Southpaw » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Hi Stewie:

Slightly off topic but I notice you are searching for McLuckies. I have a William McLuckie, 21 and unmarried, in the 1851 census living with William and Cecilia McMurray on Canal St., Renfrew. He is identified as a son but I believe he was actually a lodger. Possibly working for William McMurray since both are identified as grocers. Just a long shot.

Southpaw.
Searching for McMurray, Pollock, McLean, Shearer, Jamieson, Plumpton.

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 am

Hello Southpaw

No worries about being slightly off topic, it happens all the time :D

As far as McLuckies go, I only have my gggrandmother Margaret McLuckie at the present.
My hard drive fried itself a few weeks ago, and although I have about 99% of my records back in my programme, I did have some tentantive information on her parents (?) But it is not currently in my files. Unfortunately when she died in 1903 her son wrote down his parents names as her parents!!!
I will have another search through my hard copies and see if I have anything on her parents, but her banns are from New Monkland (For Airdrie).
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson