Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish58

Re: Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Post by trish58 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:19 pm

How strange, it was only a couple of days ago that I was wondering if there had been any conclusion to this story that I had followed for quite a long time.
Now out of the blue up pops the newest post with the latest news. How wonderful for all involved and shows that persiverence does pay off.

Well done. =D> =D>

Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:01 am

Very nice of you to extend an invitation to TS members who might be in the neighbourhood. As one of the onlookers, it has been very interesting to follow your efforts to have Russell's gravesite recognized. What determination and dedication!

Hopefully, you will also share some pictures of the event.

Congratulations!

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Congratulations Russell! I'll be with you in spirit.

Regards,
Anne H

puffin

Post by puffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:07 am

I am reporting this morning on the Rededication Service held on Mon. 5th at the graveside in Guidel, Brittany.

Firstly a link to one of the french press reports:

http://www.letelegramme.fr/morbihan/lor ... 804510.php

The Service was held at the Guidel Communal Cemetery at 10.30hrs. This was organised by the JCCC at RAF Innsworth. The Service was attended by over 100 persons. Two bagpipers from George Watson's College in Edinburgh led the procession, which was led by eight flag bearers followed by 22 family members, to the grave piping Going Home, based upon a melody by Antonin Dvorak. Later in the Service they also piped Highland Cathedral and as the attendees left, they piped Scotland the Brave. Readings at the Service included John 15:v 9-17, High Flight by Plt.Off.Gillespie Magee and When Freedom Bled by Richard Scarr.

The weather was damp to say the least. After the Service the JCCC held a Reception, following which the Mayor of Guidel generously hosted lunch for the large party. Visits to the Keroman Submarine Museum and a private museum of WW2 artefacts, in an old german bunker near Lann Bihoue were then arranged for the afternoon.

It was an emotional day and one which will live long in the memory. At the Service there were five family children present two of whom laid one of the wreaths, see link press photo, after being given days off school to attend.

If I can manage to successfully post a few photos I will let the forum know.

Puffin

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for up-dating the final chapter Puffin. The folks who have been following your determined campaign must have had tears in their eyes reading the French press report. They really laid on a full-blown event for Russell. My personal feeling is one of deep satisfaction that a tragic event has been suitably remembered and properly honoured.

Perhaps it's the name link but I have felt a real affinity with your quest.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Puffin, I can't read French, but then I didn't need to, I could feel the emotion of such an occasion, how proud you all must have felt, I'm sure the children will feel the full impact of this momentous occasion down the track.

I am so very happy that your long journey has finally been completed, and your soldier can now most certainly "Rest easy Soldier Your work is done." O:)

Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

puffin

Post by puffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, two photos now posted in the Gallery.
Will try to post one or two more but am struggling with this now as capacity (?) reached.

Puffin

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Wonderful, I'm so pleased that all your efforts have been rewarded.
Wilma

puffin

Post by puffin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Here also is a link to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site with other photos posted :

https://www.facebook.com/commonwealthwa ... commission

Scroll down to the entry for 7th October.

Click on the main picture which then leads you to slideshow of 5 photos.

Puffin

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos. and your journey. I just went back to look at the original post and could not believe that it has been 8 years since you started your search, but what a wonderful ending.

Trish