The Roseanne (Roseanna)

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Aescleah

The Roseanne (Roseanna)

Post by Aescleah » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for info on a ship called the Roseanne or Roseanna or something similar that left the Perth area (at least that's where my family is from) in/around 1803, it landed in Saint John (alt. St John), New Brunswick, Canada.

The three men on it that I want to find info on BEFORE they made it to Canada are John William Mac/McArthur, William John Mac/McArthur and Arthur Mac/McArthur- the last name Mac/Mc is debatable...it changes every time a son gets mad at his dad. lol Honestly I feel worst for poor Arthur and there are still John Williams and William Johns in the family.

Anyway, the records in Canada don't go back far enough to check this and all John's gravestone says is "From Perth"...Perth City or just Perthshire I don't know...I'm hoping that the ship's records might give me more to go on.
"To a Scot, the past clings like sand to wet feet,
and is carried about as a burden.
The many ghosts are always a part of them, inescapable."
Geddes MacGregor

LesleyB

Re: The Roseanne (Roseanna)

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi Aescleah
And welcome to Talking Scot :D

Where have you found the name of the ship? It is mentioned on a family document somewhere?

There are a few McArthurs mentioned here (looks like it may be all the one family) but a bit early for your query
http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships ... ce75.shtml

There seem to be various publications which may be worth tracking down to see if there is any mention
http://www.nls.uk/family-history/emigration/index.html
* Family tree maker: immigration records: Scottish immigrants to North America, 1600s-1800s. (Novato, CA?: The Learning Company, 1999?)
* Passenger and immigration lists index, by P W Filby and M K Meyer. This is a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who went to the United States and Canada in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. (Detroit. 1981-.)
* Directory of Scottish settlers in North America, 1625-1825, by D Dobson. 6 vols. (Baltimore, 1984-93.)
* A Dictionary of Scottish emigrants to Canada before Confederation, by D Whyte. (Toronto, 1986-.)
* A Dictionary of Scottish emigrants to the USA. Baltimore, 1972-, by D Whyte.

Not sure if this site may be of help (most of the dates are later than your area of interest)
http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/gene ... oyage.html

There is this ship leaving for Canada in 1803 (does not state from where, but I suspect somewhere larger then Perth, possibly west coast e.g. Greenock) but all passengers are from Perthshire:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pictou/commrce.htm
with others listed here
http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/ships-passengers.htm

There don't seem to be too many passenger lists from the very early 1800s and there appear to be a good number of McArthurs in the Perth area on IGI, Arthurs Johns and Williams, but not seeing any William Johns or John Williams either on IGI or SP in Perthshire, only a John OR William born in Dunbartonshire in 1784.... :roll:
The three men on it that I want to find info on BEFORE they made it to Canada are John William Mac/McArthur, William John Mac/McArthur and Arthur Mac/McArthur
Have you any clues as to how old they were likely to be when they left Scotland? Still in teens, 20s to 30s or older?

Best wishes
Lesley

Aescleah

Post by Aescleah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:11 am

I'm at work so I can't really check the links...only 8 more hours until I can! Thanks.

The ship's name is written as the Rose Ann in a history book on my county in Canada by a local.

This is what the book says:

In 1804, 7 families were brought to New Brunswick, Canada by the N.B. government. They sailed on the ship called the " Rose Ann". They were McArthurs, McVeys, Blairs, Frasers, McGregors and Kings.

John, Arthur and William McArthur, three brothers from Perthshire settled on the north bank of the Kennebecasis river. John married Christiania Blair before leaving Scotland.

Why they got brought over, I don't know.

I'd assume since they all got married in or around 1804 they'd be between 20 and 30, does that sound reasonable?

They may have not gone by their full name...all I know is our graveyard is full of John McArthurs, which makes me think the John in this case is the one I'm decended from.

I'm going to do more digging after work. Wish me luck!
Geddes MacGregor

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:22 am

Not sure what the source of this is, as the link appears to be broken, but have you seen this?
http://www3.telus.net/public/waterst/gen/gen_lines.html
80. Duncan M. Campbell Arrival date 5 May 1803 on ship Rosina.
and a bit further down:
From Fordnock / Greenock, Scotland to Saint John, NB - 1803
John Black & Co / List of passengers not paying debts. 1803
List of passengers by the ship Rosina from {Fordnock or Grenock?}, arrived at St. John 5th. May 1803 - who have not paid nor secured their passage money.
"Scottish Immigration - The legislature of New Brunswick began to encourage immigration by paying the passage of prospective settlers from the Old Country. In 1804, seven families, consisting of 40 persons were brought from Scotland at a cost of 164 pounds.........A tradition that has been handed down from generation to generation relates the trip on the "Rose Ann" was long and perilous, and at one time the fog was so dense that the yard-arm caught branches of trees along the shores of Newfoundland. Woman and children were confined to the hold, where they alternately wept and prayed until the ship came into safe harbor at Saint John................................
.Some went farther inland, such as Duncan Campbell, who brought his six motherless children to a settlement which in later years took his name from the large number of male descendants living there."
From the book, The Story of Sussex and Vicinity by Grace Aiton
The name of the ship seems quite close; looks like it has changed a bit by the time the book was written as Duncan Campbell appears to have been on both Rosina and "Rose Ann" , so most likley it is the same ship, and the date seems about right for your purposes, so it might be worth trying to contact the owner of the web site as he/she may know more.

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:31 am

Ah, found the source of some of those quotes
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... fam/SJ.pdf
on page 14
Unfortunately it looks like your lot had paid, so no listing of names!

There is a little more on Google Books
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Sgd1 ... 22&f=false
With Axe and Bible: The Scottish Pioneers of New Brunswick, 1784-1874
By Lucille H. Campey p.141 which says that the Rosina made the same journey with passengers in 1804.

They may have not gone by their full name...all I know is our graveyard is full of John McArthurs, which makes me think the John in this case is the one I'm decended from.
I know nothing about how one would trace backwards in Canada, but I'm sure some of our other members do! Is it not possible to trace back using documentation (birth, marriage, death, census etc) to establish which of the brothers is your ancestor?

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello Aescleah,

You’ve been doing well Lesley.

Is this the same family? If so there seems to be a bit of conflict with the other info. It has William arriving later. All are said to be sons of Duncan McArthur.
http://www.nbgs.ca/firstfamilies/FAMILY ... Y-2006.pdf

MCARTHUR: John McArthur b. 1775 in Perthshire, Scotland, d. 1871, s/o Duncan
McArthur: m. in Scotland, Christina Blair born 1777 in Glasgow or in Perthshire,
Scotland, died 18 Oct 1843: came to NB in 1804: first settled at Sussex Vale, Kings
County, then at Chatham, Northumberland County:
Children are listed in a random order:
1) Miss McArthur m. Mr. Mason: settled in Northumberland County and had issue:
2) Ann McArthur m. John Fraser:
3) Mary McArthur b. 1809, d. unmarried 1872:
4) Christina McArthur b. 1811, d. 1885, m. 17 Apr 1835 Donald Fraser and had
issue:
5) Eliza McArthur b. - , d. unmarried:
6) Charlotte McArthur b. 1818, d. unmarried 1898:
Sources: MC80/1 Grace Aiton’s The story of Sussex and vicinity, page 56: John’s
brothers also came to NB and settled on the north bank of Kennebecasis River in
Kings County: Arthur McArthur m. in Sussex Parish, Kings County, NB, Janet
Blair, sister of Christina: William McArthur m. Catherine/Katie McGregor: see
MC80/1722 John R. Elliott’s Gone but not forgotten, Vol. 2: Kirk Hill Cemetery,
Sussex Parish, pages 141 to 142: see also MC2657 NBGS Generations Issue #54,
Winter 1992: Cemetery transcriptions: St. Andrews United Cemetery, [Chatham, NB]
page 63: see also RS184 New Brunswick Museum Vertical files, McArthur family,
microfilm F11086, 6 pages.

MCARTHUR: Arthur McArthur born in Perthshire, Scotland, d. 1871, s/o Duncan
McArthur: came to NB: first settled at Sussex Vale, Kings County, m. 1806 in
Sussex Parish, Kings County, Janet Blair, the sister of Christina Blair his brother
John McArthur’s wife: Janet was b. in Glasgow, Scotland:
Children are listed in a random order:
1) Janet McArthur m. John Pearson: had no issue:
2) Eliza McArthur married Thomas Murray: they had two sons who went to
Minnesota:
3) Arthur Wellesley McArthur b. - , d. 1842, m. 1841 Mary Roach and had one
daughter:
4) John McArthur b. 1813, d. 1872, m. Jane King b. 1825, d. 1878: no issue:
5) William Thomas McArthur b. 1816, died 1844, m. Eliza Freeze: one son:
6) Robert McArthur m. Emma Freeze d/o Samuel Freeze: seven children:
7) James McArthur b. - , d. age 19.
Source: RS184 New Brunswick Museum Vertical files, McArthur family, microfilm
F11086, 6 pages: Janet Blair’s parents were Mr. Blair and his wife Miss McFarlane.

MCARTHUR: William McArthur b. 1792 or 1802 in Perthshire, Scotland, died 30
Sep 1847, s/o Duncan McArthur: came to NB in 1817 and settled in Saint John: m.
23 May 1823 Catherine or Katie McGregor:
Children:
1) Robert Duncan McArthur born 1825, d. 1892, m. Margaret McGregor: had no
issue:
2) Mary Jane McArthur born 1826, married 1851 Robert Murray: had five
children: m. (2nd) 1866 Edwin Marr: had two children:
3) John McArthur born 1828, d. 1874, m. Jane Ketchum and had one child:
4) Elizabeth McArthur b. 1831, d. 1886, m. Thomas Murray and had four children.
Sources: MC80/2592 Graeme F. Somerville’s A library of stone pages and other
records of the Wesleyan burial ground, Saint John, NB, pgs. 150-151: see also
RS184 New Brunswick Museum Vertical files, McArthur family, microfilm reel
F11086, 6 pages.

Alan

Aescleah

Post by Aescleah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:47 pm

That's them Alan, it has to be! I'd kiss you if you were here!

Grace was always a bit screwy so I don't completely trust her book anyway ;p

Now to find out where in Pershire they're from...
Geddes MacGregor

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:43 am

That’s ok Aescleah,

I was getting nowhere as far as the ship was concerned until Lesley came up with the Rosina info. If you want a bit more information about the vessel search in google books for rosina potter and select ‘full view only’ when you get the results. You’ll find a few versions of Lloyds shipping register. The codes are right at the front of the books. The 1809 one seems to start:

“349, Rosina, Ship, sheathed with copper 1804, J. Potter master, 467 tons, 3 decks, built 1802? ……….”

There’s more there but I’m finding it a bit hard on the eyes to finish it off.

All the best,
Alan

mac183

Post by mac183 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 am

How do I contact the person looking for the mcarthur brothers listed on the Jan 24 2010 entry? the brothers are also part of my family tree that I have on hard paper.
Interested to know how this person fits into my tree. Also looking for info on their father Duncan. The brothers were born in Port of Mentieh, Perthshire, Scotland
Aye MAC

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:01 am

Hello Mac
[TS_welcome]
All contributors to this thread will get notification of your post, providing they still have the same email address.
So hopefully you will get a reply to your own message.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson