Tinto House

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

carolineasb

Tinto House

Post by carolineasb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the above which was situated in the Hurlet area of Glasgow. I'm really trying to find out where their records may now be.

I think it may have been an Old Folks Home but not sure and don't know if it was privately run or by the Health Board.

I have tried googling it but the only thing of significance is an advert in the Edinburgh Gazette by QLTR for someone who died there.

I have been hunting for the death of a person for a long time and have now found someone with a shortened version of my person's name who died there in 1983 but with no family details and the informant was the "officer-in-charge". However, this person has exactly the same date of birth as my person so I think it might be her!! It's a bit strange as family were still alive and some living quite near there :( so I can't understand why no family details.

Thanks,

Caroline

Currie

Re: Tinto House

Post by Currie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 am

Hello Caroline,

“Old Folks Home” appears to be right on the button. Reported in the Evening Times, January 17, 1974, to be at Barrhead and run by Glasgow Corporation. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ED ... ouse&hl=en

The Evening Times has some useful intimations, here’s one for a Scott in 1983. To check if there was one for yours click the “browse this newspaper” link and follow your nose. The search function is usually pretty useless. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=7t ... ouse&hl=en

Glasgow Corporation records would be with the Mitchell Library. http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries ... fault.aspx

Hope that helps,
Alan

PS. Or maybe the Glasgow Herald. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=G ... de=2&hl=en

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks, Alan.

I always seem to have difficulty in searching the news archive. I don't know what I do wrong! I know I have seen an article about the daughter of the lady I am talking about who was killed in 1934 in an RTA in Ayr but trying to find it again seems to be impossible, for me anyway!

I see that the address of Tinto House changes with the article/certificate - Barrhead, Nitshill, Hurlet. I do know though that the Hurlet is like a crossroads for roads heading for Barrhead, Paisley and Nitshill.

Next job is to see if I can get any information at the Mitchell Library.

This lady's brother-in-law is the chap I was looking for previously and found through members of this Forum in British Columbia, Canada, using his mother's maiden name and "married" to someone else who was also using a different name and while his wife in Scotland was still alive! What a tangled web we weave!

Thanks again,

Caroline

EVH

Post by EVH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 am

Hi there I am sure you will have found information on Tinto House records from the Glasgow Archives in the Mitchell Library. I hope you found the information you were looking for.
It was named after Thomas Tinto who was the Secretary and Principal Welfare Services Officer in the Health and Welfare Department of Glasgow Corporation.
It was opened in March 1968 as an old folks home, or eventide home, as the corporation called it. I have a personal interest in this as my parents were the superintendent and matron of the home until it was closed about 1986. After this it became a private nursing home
We lived on the premises as it was 24/7 job for them. There were 30 residents sharing 10 bedrooms, 2 large lounges, several bathrooms. There was a beautiful dining room with oak panelling, stained glass windows and an Italian marble fireplace which had been a billiards room.

While my parents ran the home I know the residents were well cared for and well treated. They could come go as they wished and wanted for nothing. It was a home where they received good care and not an institution
Xx