CS12 Posts

Stories and Poems by our members.

Moderator: Global Moderators

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Did ye no try the Glesga Polish lingo first Bob ?

"Cherry Blossom - Kiwi"?
Wilma

DavidWW

A Small Country with Two Languages

Post by DavidWW » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:02 pm

Aye Boab

But which Norwegian :?: :!:

Following nearly a century under the thumb of Stockholm, and 4 centuries prior to that under the thumb of Copenhagen, Norway finally gained full independence on 17th May 1905, - "Syttende Mai" - and if you ever want to see how an independence day should be celebrated make sure that you are in Norge that day :!: , but give yourself at least a full day for recovery from the resultant hangover :lol:

As part of the independence movement in the mid-1800s a "new" language was created by putting together spoken Norwegian and Old Norsk, to create NyNorsk or Landsmål.

Written "Norwegian" up to that point was more a form of Danish, - then and now known as Boksmål.....

Certainly up to 30 years ago a kid going on to secondary school had, in effect, to learn a new language, - closely related, yes, but different.

On the basis of my Swedish I can just about manage in Boksmål but Landsmål most often defeats me.

Davie

PS Next time you're down in Manchester ask to be introduced to the finer points of the 3 and 4 consonant combinations in Polish :wink:

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:34 pm

At least ye tried Boab and the furreners like that. By the way - Moonwatcher for Prime Minister - ye'd dae a great job. :-k

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:40 pm

Wilma said; "Did ye no try the Glesga Polish lingo first Bob ?"

Wilma,

No more than I'd try Glesca 'Scotch' - Grouse - Bells :lol:

Bob.
Last edited by Moonwatcher on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Davie W,

Yer detailed accoont eh the Norwegian lingo hiz served tae remind meh why ah've avoidit languages lik the plague ower the years. Jist readin yer post wiz daein mah heid in! :lol:

Bob.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Annette,

Me furr PM? Ah dont hink say! Aw aht power wid go tae ah heid! Ye widnae like meh if ah wiz PM! :twisted:

Bob.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:Davie W,

Yer detailed accoont eh the Norwegian lingo hiz served tae remind meh why ah've avoidit languages lik the plague ower the years. Jist readin yer post wiz daein mah heid in! :lol:

Bob.
Haw Boab!

Ah wiz telt ba ma teechurs at Ayr Academy that Ah hid nae linguistic abilities........ 'n' believing that opinion proceeded to believe that my linguistic abilities were minimal, until I moved to Sweden in 1980, living and working there until 1986, and becoming fully fluent in Swedish, to the extent, that, were I to meet a Swede tomorrow, the fluency is such that, after a few minutes, the "programme" kicks in and the brain produces the necessary words, - the active vocabulary might occasionally be a wee bit of a problem, but the passive vocabulary is still on top form !!!

Davie

nelmit

Cyber Seance 12

Post by nelmit » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 pm

Another good un Bob!

P.S. Although like you I do not share his faith, I totally agree with your sentiment.

Annette M