Smiths and MacGowan etc

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ronpsmith

Smiths and MacGowan etc

Post by ronpsmith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 am

When I was a kid my dad (unfortunately he died when I was in my teens) told me our Smiths were originally MacGowans. I am not sure where this came and was possibly passed down through the family. Does anyone know when the transition from MacGowan (and the Gaelic variants of the name) to Smith was happening in the north-east? Our family were in Aberdeenshire back to around late 1700s at least and still using the name Smith in records but I am wondering at what point I should consider other versions of the name.

Russell

Re: Smiths and MacGowan etc

Post by Russell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Ron

I don't know how well verified this was but a colleague from Aberdeenshire had the family name Brown. she had researched her roots and the family hid their 'Mac' connection and assumed the name Brown during the '45 rebellion since they did not want to be implicated. You may need to look quite far back to find out. On the other hand I have a family who moved from Paisley to Glasgow and took the name May (the mother's family name) we think to dodge unpaid rent arrears. This was mid 1880's. The only reason we were able to trace them was the occasional slip-up giving their true family name on one or two documents.
Finding out 'when' and 'why' could be a tortuous process. I wish you luck :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

ronpsmith

Post by ronpsmith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks Russell

Yes, I imagine there was a long transition period where names were changed perhaps for more than one reason. Perhaps the only way is to start considering all the other possible versions of names once you start finding difficulty getting further back (as I am now)?

Ron

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Hello Ron,

“The Scottish Nation: Or the Surnames, Families, Literature, Honours, and Biographical History of the People of Scotland”, Volume 3, published 1867, has info about the name Smith. Zoom in using the icon and it’s readable, and can also be downloaded in a higher resolution. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=pcd ... me&f=false

“No surname in the United Kingdom is of so frequent occurrence as is that of Smith. Of names derived from employments, Smith is the most numerous and Taylor the next. In the Celtic it is Gow, M‘Gowan, or Cowan. According to an absurd Highland tradition, quoted by Douglas in his Baronage, the progenitor of all the families of the name of Smith in Scotland was Neil Cromb, the third son of Murdoch of the clan Chattan, who lived in the reign of William the Lion.”

This next book, from 1805, as well as spreading the alleged absurdity, also says “The surname of Smith is of great antiquity in Scotland, and of old, was variously written: Smyt, Smyth, and Smith, are all the same name, and sometimes they have been called Gow, which is Gaelic for Smith.”
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=zKN ... 22&f=false

If they couldn’t figure it out back then it probably all happened too far back to be of any use. Note however that there are variations of Smith.

Most people have problems getting past the mid to late 1700s, and it’s usually because of the non existence of records, rather than a problem with names.

All the best,
Alan

ronpsmith

Post by ronpsmith » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks Alan

Interesting but I think you are your right, the biggest problem being gaps in the records. I suppose I was just hoping that someone might have already come across evidence of MacGowans becoming Smiths in the Aberdeenshire area north of Aberdeen were mine were living in late 1700s.

Ron