DIVINE INTERVENTION NEEDED..... **birthday bumped post**

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnnetteR

DIVINE INTERVENTION NEEDED..... **birthday bumped post**

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi all

I have an ancestor who became a Nun sometime in the 1920-30's. Her name was Ann Meehan(Mechan) and she came from Neilston, Renfrewshire. It is rumoured she ended up in France. My question is are there records available for Nuns and if so, where would I find them?

Thanks in advance

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Hello Annette,I know that the Nun's in Newfoundland can trace their members back to the first to arrive on our shores.The records were kept at the parish office and later at the head office in our capital St.John's when the convent closed.I would start with the convent for the parish you believe she belonged to.
HeatherK

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi Annette,

Any idea where your nun realtion ended up in France? Do you know what order she was with?

Happy searching

Catrioan

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi Heather and Catriona

Thanks so much for your replies. I will try to track down the convent as you suggested Heather and see what I can come up with.

Catriona - sadly I don't know where she ended up in France and am not entirely certain that she did - that came from a very distant memory of my mother's but, you know what they say, there is usually some truth in these old memories. I'll let you both know how I progress.

Thanks again

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

LesleyB

Re: DIVINE INTERVENTION NEEDED.....

Post by LesleyB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Great title to this post - made me laugh! Did you ever find out more about your nun, Annette?

[birthday]
Talking Scot is 10 years old!
To celebrate we are “bumping” selected older posts - posts we enjoyed , posts with knotty puzzles, posts which made us laugh, posts which brought a tear to our eye and posts where the problem solving skills of Talking Scot members won the day. Why not join us in our celebrations by “birthday bumping” some of your favourite posts? Just post a reply to the end of any of your favourite posts and remember to mention in your reply it is a “Birthday Bumped” post!
=D> \:D/ [cheers] \:D/ =D>

“Birthday bumps” or “dumps” are a tradition in Scotland, especially in school playgrounds, where the birthday boy or girl was pursued in order to be given “dumps” or “bumps” - usually a series of bumps on the behind with a knee, corresponding to the number of years the birthday person had now reached (and sometimes an extra one for luck!). For more info about Scottish birthday dumps or bumps, see
http://www.scotslanguage.com/word/Apr-2 ... day_custom_