looking for a grave possibly near to Anniesland?

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

jowood76

looking for a grave possibly near to Anniesland?

Post by jowood76 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi all I really want to find my late Grandmothers grave. She lived in Anniesland and died in September 1951. I have address of where she lived and date of death,but no idea where she were burried any ideas on how to find the plot I have no parents to ask as they have also died. I am coming to Scotland in the summer with my family and would really like to visit her plot. It would be the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle for me. Info of any kind much appreciated!

Currie

Re: looking for a grave possibly near to Anniesland?

Post by Currie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 am

Hello Jowood, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

We are very fortunate in that there are three Glasgow newspapers online for the 1950s, and there’s a chance you’ll find a notice with burial information in one of those.

Glasgow Herald. (notices are on front page)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=G ... de=2&hl=en

Evening Times. (notices near the back)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... de=2&hl=en

The Bulletin. (not sure if this has notices but may be worth a look)
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=F ... de=2&hl=en

Give those a try and let us know if you find it or if you need any help.

All the best,
Alan

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am

I seem to have dropped something off the end of my post and that was to say that the image quality of these newspapers varies from reasonable to awful, and the search facility is only rarely of any use, but you can browse through them as with a microfilm.

Alan

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Unfortunately there is no easy formula that says Person A died in place B so they used Cemetery C - families tended to use cemeteries which had some connection with their family either through previous use or association with a certain area. eg. in this case although the lady died in Anniesland you may have to look back and see if she and her family were more closely linked to another area. (In my own family I have some family members who moved to Knightswood - near Anniesland - but who upon their deaths were buried in Eastwood on the opposite side of the City).

Religion also plays a part in that some religious groups have their own cemeteries or set areas which they use

The other problem is that the Civil cemeteries tend to be pretty large and while Glasgow Council do keep excellent records of the Lairs used any enquiries are, at the moment, met with the response that the records are currently being digitised and are not available for searching - even when they were available they charged a hefty fee if the records needed to be searched.
~RJ Paton~

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 pm

jowood76 wrote:Hi all I really want to find my late Grandmothers grave. She lived in Anniesland and died in September 1951. I have address of where she lived and date of death,but no idea where she were burried any ideas on how to find the plot I have no parents to ask as they have also died. I am coming to Scotland in the summer with my family and would really like to visit her plot. It would be the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle for me. Info of any kind much appreciated!
Hello and welcome to Talking Scot. :D

Alan's advice and links to The Herald and Evening Times are the way to go for a Family Notice (fingers crossed) which will tell you which cemetery. Depending on the info given there you may be able to contact the cemetery direct and therefore bypass Glasgow City Council Offices.

Glasgow City Council will be able to tell you the exact plot if you supply them with the name and date............but at a cost.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Annette

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi,

Another option might be to look at the http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/ site, which has transcriptions of headstones across a number of different cemeteries. It's not complete but more cemeteries seem to be added fairly regularly. Some of the Glasgow ones are listed and others that might well be in Glasgow if my geography was better! The downside is that the information is alphabetical and doesn't include lair numbers, but it may help you narrow down some options.

If you find your grandmother listed (which will depend on whether her name was added to a headstone), I believe that you can also request photographs for a relatively modest fee.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 pm

The downside is that the information is alphabetical and doesn't include lair numbers, but it may help you narrow down some options.
Another downside to that is that it will not cover those who are buried in a cemetery but who have no stone marker, as is the case with some of my family for one reason or another, and also anyone who was buried in a paupers grave or a similar communal burial area.

Best wishes
Lesley