Parkhead Reformatory School for boys

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Martin11

Parkhead Reformatory School for boys

Post by Martin11 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi

I have been tracing my family tree from Greenock and one of my ancestors George Crawley was on the 1881 census at Parkhead Reformatory School for boys, which I believe was catholic. I understand boys were sent there either through the poor relief system or because they had committed a crime. He would have been age 14 on the 1881 census. Cannot find him on any of the 1891 censuses.

Does anyone know how I would find out why he went to this reformatory or where he would likely to have gone after the age of 14. cant find a record of his death or marriage and he isnt on the 1891 census for Greenock but his parents and grandparents are.

There are no records for the school either with the Archdiocese of Glasgow or the Mitchell Library. I believe that it later became known as Westhorn School

I am also looking for Gallacher family who used to live at 14 Portman Street, Glasgow. There was James & Annie Gallacher who had a sons James, Charles, Francis & Edward. They have all passed away but Francis married and had a son Francis and Edward had 2 children, Josephine & Sarah. I know they attended St Margarets School Portman St Glasgow.

Any Information regarding any of above would be much appreciated

Regards
Geraldine McNealey

StewL

Re: Parkhead Reformatory School for boys

Post by StewL » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 am

Hello Geraldine
[TS_welcome]
As George had been in Parkhead Reformatory in the late 1800's.
There is a very strong chance that he was one of the "Home Children" who were sent overseas to Canada, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia from the 1860's to the 1970's.
Margaret Humphrey's (Social Worker) wrote a book called "Empty Cradles" and a movie was made called "Oranges and Sunshine".
Unfortunately it was my profession that "helped" send these children overseas.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:25 am

Greetings.

OOP's for a moment there I read PARKHURST and immediately thought of the Parkhurst Boys who were shipped out to New Zealand and Australia, some fifty years earlier. Some were not even into their teens. One hundred and twenty eight came out to New Zealand on the St George in 1842, and the Mandrid in 1843, and landed in Auckland. The conditions here were tough and some of the lads escaped into the wilderness, preferring to be among the Maori, than their assigned Guardian/Masters in Auckland. The Southern Cross newspaper, was not at all happy about the circumstances surrounding their arrival.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... rst+Boys--

But that is digressing from the forum post in hand.

Alan SHARP.
Last edited by Alan SHARP on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Hello Geraldine,

There was a young fellow called George Crawley in trouble with The Law at Greenock as reported in the Glasgow Herald, August 10, 1886. See this page near top of 7th column. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=E1 ... %2C2990524

The Ralph Larkin mentioned seems to have been a habitual criminal judging by the number of times that name from Greenock was mentioned in the newspapers.

1882 [C.3352] Twenty-fifth report of the inspector appointed, under the provisions of the Act 5 & 6 Will. IV. c. 38, to visit the certified reformatory and industrial schools of Great Britain.

Parkhead Reformatory for Roman Catholic Boys, Westhorn Mills, near Glasgow.
Inspected June 9, 1881.
Number of inmates on day of inspection, boys, 187, and a large number on license.
State of premises.—I found the house and premises in very good order. The dormitories and bedding were clean and decent. A considerable improvement in the out-door offices. Good bath. The workshops were in good working order. Garden and outside premises properly attended to.
Health and general condition.—Fair amount of health. The boys generally were receiving a larger share of personal attention than formerly. The medical officer has the school and its inmates very constantly under inspection, and is most anxious to keep up the health of the boys and the sanitary condition of the school. Two deaths, one from meningitis, one from consumption. A few cases of tonsilitis; a few cases of pleurisy, bronchitis, and pneumonia. Many of the boys looked strong and robust.
Conduct and discipline.—The school had been going on favourably for some time past. I was fairly satisfied with the reports as to conduct and discipline; the general aspect of affairs was encouraging. The amount of serious punishment diminishing month by month. A careful record had been kept. The manner and appearance of the boys and their behaviour during the examination was very creditable.
Educational state. —36 in Fifth Standard: excellent reading, spelling, writing, and dictation; arithmetic very well done. 36 in Fourth Standard, and all the exercises in the class were satisfactorily performed. 46 in Third Standard: reading and spelling very fair; writing neat; dictation well done; arithmetic very good, 45 in Second Standard: satisfactory performances. The juniors getting on well. All the classes were receiving proper attention. Teaching intelligent and individual. Order very good.
Industrial training—There are considerable shops for tailoring and shoemaking. The shoe shop was in full work. There is a joiner's shop also. A class of boys is always employed in gardening and out-door work. There are about 10 acres of land attached to the school.
Staff. — Superintendent, Mr. James Garden; schoolmaster, Mr. T. Brotherhood; assistant, Mr. W. J. Daly, wardman; matron, Miss Campbell; cook and house servant, laundrymaid, bailiff, joiner, two shoemakers, tailor, three labour-masters, and sempstress.
Average number maintained, 196. Total cost for 1881 3,214l. 5s.7d.
Comparative cost per head on ordinary maintenance and management, 16l. 8s.
Net cost per head, including profit or loss on industrial departments, 15l. 17s. 9d.
Industrial profits 239l. 5s. 11d.
Results on cases discharged in the three years 1878, 1879, and 1880. —Of 159 discharged in 1878-80, there are doing well 104, dead 7, doubtful 7, convicted of crime 31, unknown 10.

All the best,
Alan