William Fraser Found then Lost!.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

William Fraser Found then Lost!.....

Post by Jean Jeanie » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:18 pm

Following excellent advice from Davie, Stewie, Sporran and a few others I decided to look for William Fraser. All I know is that he and his wife Isabella Cameron were not shown as deceased on their son's Statutory wedding cert of 1877. So decided to look for William's death after this date until 1914. Four records were there on SP. only 2 would be possibles. Bingo first one I look at looks great. Wife's name is Isabella Cameron and the date looks acceptable. Died 1878 in Cromdale. Up till now all my Frasers have been from Cromdale.Place of death Faebuie. Same place as his son's marriage. Parents shown as James Fraser and Ann Fraser m.s. McDonald.

Did an IGI search on the parents and found 7 children. BUT not one of them was William.

From his death cert he was aged 68 in1878, so was born around 1810. Did a birth search for him on IGI and SP and only one is available. Searched from 1808 - 1815 to be on the safe side. The parents here are shown as James Fraser and Jean McDonald.

Did an IGI for children of James and Jean and found 2 children. William and one sister.

Did an IGI for the marriage of James and Jean but it is a record submitted by a member. Found nothing on SP.

Just typing this just now and my husband has spotted an entry in the margin of the death cert for William. It says."See Reg of (next 2 words illegible)Vol 1 P.20 May 18th 1878. If I contact SP will they tell me what this refers to? This may help.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Jean

DavidWW

Re: William Fraser Found then Lost!

Post by DavidWW » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:11 pm

Jean Jeanie wrote:....much snipped .............
Just typing this just now and my husband has spotted an entry in the margin of the death cert for William. It says."See Reg of (next 2 words illegible)Vol 1 P.20 May 18th 1878. If I contact SP will they tell me what this refers to? This may help.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Jean
Most likely that the death was sudden. What is shown as the place, and secondly, the cause?

If that's the case the entry in the Register of Corrected Entries is unlikely to do more than confirm the time (and place) of the death.

At the moment, the only way of getting the info from GROS is to spend the £10 to buy an extract, - the RCE info should be typed on the back; but wait a wee while, hopefully sometime during 2005 and digitised images of the RCEs entries will come on line, linked to the register entries.

Orraverybest

Davie

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:16 am

The place of death is Faebuie, Parish of Cromdale. Cause of death unknown, no medical attendant.

If the entry in the margin clears up the cause of death then I have the proverbial brick wall as to the mother's name? Is she Ann or Jean.

Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:40 am

Jean Jeanie wrote:The place of death is Faebuie, Parish of Cromdale. Cause of death unknown, no medical attendant.

If the entry in the margin clears up the cause of death then I have the proverbial brick wall as to the mother's name? Is she Ann or Jean.

Jean
"No medical attendant" is near certain to have been the reason why the death was referred to the PF.

Who was the informant?. - that will give you some indication as to the accuracy on the info on the names of the parents of the deceased.

Davie

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 pm

The informant was his son James b. 1845. Williams parents, James and Ann are both shown as deceased. I suppose the question is "Did young James know his Grandmother's name for certain was Ann?"

It is strange that I can't find a birth for a William with parents James and Ann, but can find one for parents James and Jean.

Jean

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi Jean

Don't take it for granted that the informant always knows the correct name. For example I had a death certificate for one of my GG Grandfathers and his son had put his mother's maiden name as Rebecca Kinloch when, in actual fact, his mother's maiden name was Wilkinson. Turned out his mother in law's maiden name was Kinloch. It was thanks to 'oor Andy' that I was able to unravel that one. So if a son can get it wrong then a grandson has double the chance. It is also possible that she could have been named Jean Ann or something similar but was known to her friends and family as Ann.

Good luck with it

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Hello again Jean

Meant to ask if your Corstorphines are from Kilrenny, Fife - if so - we might have a connection.

Cheers

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi Annette

My Corstorphines are from Uphall and Broxburn, West Lothian. They were so easy to find, because of the unusual surname.

My husband's lot, the Frasers, are driving me daft. There are so many of them and all from the same area. Illegitimacy is rife, running through all the generations and I used to think my father in law was posh. If only he knew what his mother, grandmother and great grandmother got up to, he'd have a pink fit!

Good job they're aw deed!!

Jean