Illegible Name on Marriage Certificate.....

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:55 pm

This looked familiar too (but I look at a lot of records).

The last time (on SP) I also thought it was Massey changed my mind after tracking down Father John O' Dwyer still at St. Patrick's in 1881 (I originally thought he was O'Hagen)

So I reckon it's Duffey
Last edited by Andy on Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:56 pm

As I read the name involved, it's Isabella Sherry MN Maƒƒey, ............

Daviw

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:01 pm

I'll go for Haffey, sometimes spelt Haffy. I'll see if there'sanything to support theory in G.V. for Ireland.

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:55 pm

I'm going for Haffey too, although it's a name I've never heard of.

Alison

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 pm

If you consider the name might be Haffey, there is a very close match in G.V. i.e. A Patrick Sherry is in the same townland as an Anne Haffey, in the townland of Aghafin, Clones, Monaghan. As Clones Monaghan borders Clones Fermanagh you would have to consider both Counties for ancestors. especially as there is another Patrick Sherry in Aghalurcher Parish, Mullynavale townland, County fermanagh.

There is also a Patrick Sherry in Granemore, Keady, Armagh, with the Haffey surname in the nearby parishes of Derrynoose and Lisnadil.

I also found a Patrick Sherry, born to a Thomas Haffey and Mary Sherry, 1871 Newtonbutler, Fermanagh.

Its worth filing for future ref.

Editing Patrick Sherry to Patrick Haffey to Thomas haffey and Mary Sherry. (Vital Records c.d.)
Last edited by IanS on Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 am

I would go for "Haffey" as well. If you look had the formation of the "H" in another name it is the same.

I have just completed a lot of pages for FREEBMD, and the last lot of batches were 1863 deaths that were all handwritten. So I have got used to deciphering handwritten scripts

There was a Frank Haffey who was goalkeeper for Celtic in the 60's
:D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:18 am

But the D from Dwyer is almost identical:

Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Carolann

Post by Carolann » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Ian and Everyone
Thank you for all your comments and will go and see what I can find. I thought it may have to something to do with the Ireland. I have been looking in the Irish Online Census but haven't come across Sherry or Maffey or Haffey or something like it but will continue on my search.

Ian, can you do me a favour and check the Irish records you have for me if possible for a Duncan O'Hara born about 1806 according to his D/C and 1816 according to 1881 census. His parents were Henry O'Hara and his mother Nancy O'Hara (nee Scally).

Any information would be great.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. Really appreciate it and so do my rellies in New Zealand.
Carolann :)
Carol

IanS

Post by IanS » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:34 pm

Carolann, Yes, I'll do that, but I'm wondering if you have Catherine O'Haras (daughter of Duncan) birth cert from 1855 Argyll? As the 1855 certs give many more details than certs from other years, it may give a more precise place of birth for Duncan.

Do you know offhand, if the 2 Duncan O'Hara's in the 1881 census Campbeltown, b 1815 and 1816(yours?) are related? Is it possible they are one and the same? Perhaps his first wife's family in one house, then remarriage to a much younger woman, and a new family in a different house, but counted as head in each household? Sorry if I'm confusing things.

Carolann

Post by Carolann » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:45 am

Ian
Thanks for this. I do not have this cert but I will certainly get it tonight when I go home.
I only realised he was married twice when I got the Death Cert but I will have a look.
Thanks again and I will come back to you with this information.
Cheers
Carol :)
Carol