Pronounced for Doom

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneM
Global Moderator

Pronounced for Doom

Post by AnneM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi all

Thought you might be interested in this recently published book. It tells the stories of several important law cases in Scotland before 1900 with the emphasis on the narrating the events, illustrating the characters of the people involved and setting the tales in their social context. It features some well known cases such as those of Madeleine Smith and Deacon Brodie. Most are less famous but nonetheless interesting in their ability to cast light on their times and the state of Scottish society then. It is written by various legal writers, most of whom are well known in their fields, and is published by Avizandum, the Law Publishers of Edinburgh.

The sharp eyed who find out more about the book may notice my name among the contributors (an exception to the eminence of the writers) but I hope to be acquitted of any charge of advertising as I will not get a brass farthing from any purchases!!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

WilmaM

Re: Pronounced for Doom

Post by WilmaM » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:52 am

Sounds interesting - I'll look out for it in my local library
Wilma

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Is it available on Kindle do you know? I have not bought more than a book or two -the paper variety since receiving a Kindle as a Christmas pressie three years ago. :-
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 pm

Not on Kindle as far as I know. Fraid it is only a paper version.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters