OPR Records .....

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

OPR Records .....

Post by Jean Jeanie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:33 pm

I have a number of OPR records from SP to research further. I am travelling up to Aberdeen early in the new year to find out what I can, and to visit the areas where my husbans's ancestors came from.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect to find on these records in the way of parents names, etc etc.

This will be a one off opportunity for me so I want to make the best of it.

Jean Jeanie

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:20 am

Hullo Jean Jeanie

The OPR records seem to be a mixed bunch. For example out of three that Davie looked at for me there were to quote "one unusually good, one average and one poor."

The unusually good one gave place of resisdence of both bride and groom, the groom's occupation, the date of booking, the date of proclamation, the date and place of mariage,the name and church of the minister.

The poor one gave the date and price of proclamation.

Enjoy your visit to Aberdeen. I have happy memories of holidays on the farm in Aberdeenshire, milk still warm from the cows, honey on the comb.

Have a good day
Catriona

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:34 am

I'd echo Catriono's comments, on the basis that the content of the Scottish OPRs rarely approached that of the equivalent English records.

For a marriage, or calling of the banns, it is unusual for there to be any info on the parents of the bride and groom.

For a birth/baptism, it is unusual for there to be more than the names of the parents (but thankfully in the Scottish scenario, the mother's maiden name), and possibly their place of residence, and the occupation of the father. The further back one goes in the OPRs, the more likely it is that there may not even be a mention of the mother.

Davie

OPR Records

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:51 pm

Hi all

Are you aware the ANESFHS publish maps for the whole of Scotland showing the overall dates of the OPRs held in Edinburgh and available worldwide on Microfilm at the LDS. They are quite useful toe nsure that thereare records for the year you are researching and if in fact there are any death entries.

Jack

Re: OPR records

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:20 pm

Those maps from the Aberdeen & NE FHS are indeed very useful.

Although born in Scotland, my geographical knowledge had, for years, been one of blissful ignorance (knowing where i lived was enough for me). But this happy state rapidly evaporated when i realised that if i was ever to find all those "never-heard-of-it-in-my-life" parishes that were popping up in my searches, something had to be done. Luckily i noticed those maps at the GWSFHS premises, and thought "that's just what i need" - so i got them.

Not many folk could look at a Scottish map and immediately point to the parishes of say - Eddrachilles, Quarff, or Snizort. I know i couldn't! That's why these maps are so helpful - lets you see whereabouts a Parish's position is in its County, plus they have OPR BMD details beside the name too. Though i dare say many of them will be online somewhere.

---
GROS - yes them that i feel let us down very badly (their loss), have OPR BMD lists for all Scotland at the bottom of this page -

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/h ... r_cov.html

How accurate it is i couldn't say - they've still to correct the errors in their Parish / Registration Districts at -

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files/old_opr.pdf

But that, i know, is well down the list of "Things To Do".

Jack