Searching for OPR Birth .....

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Searching for OPR Birth .....

Post by Jean Jeanie » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:51 pm

Can anyone tell me if I can search anything/anywhere else or am I correct in assuming there is no birth record as she was born pre 1855.
Story goes:-

I have her marriage certificate.dated 1877.She is shown as Jane Fraser, age 23, parents William Fraser and Elspet McDonald (not married).

I have found her in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses, aged 28,38 and 48 respectively, living with her husband and children.

I have her death cert. Died 1934 aged 81.

Year of birth must be 1853 or 1854.

I've searched for her in these years as Jane Fraser, Jane McDonald and Jane MacDonald. Lots of Janes born in these years in lots of places but not one with her parents names, William Fraser and Elspet McDonald.

Jean Jeanie

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi Jean Jeannie

Have you tried searching at www.familysearch.org in the International Genealogical Index. I tried a quick parent search using William Fraser and Elspet McDonald but couldn't come up with a Jane although there were other children (some from different eras but they are quite common names) but I have to admit I didn't spend much time on it. If her parents weren't married at the time of her birth she may well be going by the name of McDonald. It may just be however that she was never registered.

Good Luck

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Hi Annette

Tried family search and Scotlandspeople, with all the names she could be and nothing came up. I'm beginning to think she wasn't registered.

Jean

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:59 pm

Hullo Jean,

I tried a children search at family search using only the mothers first name. I came across a Jane Fraser with parents William FRASER And Betty FRASER, but the Jane was born too early 1821.

Courage

Catriona