How can I find where in Ireland GGF came from

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Researcher46

How can I find where in Ireland GGF came from

Post by Researcher46 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Trying to find a way to find where my great-great-grandfather came from in Ireland. The only clue I have, maybe, is that his brother-in-law Isaac Rodgers was a coal miner. He himself was in Barony by 1820 and was born in the late 1790s

WilmaM

Re: How can I find where in Ireland GGF came from

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:57 pm

[TS_welcome]
Finding birth locations in Ireland is a hit or a miss especially the further back you go.

Census information usually only gives Ireland not a county or townland name [though sometimes you can be lucky].

Coal mining, docking and navvy jobs were the sort of unskilled jobs often taken up by Irish when they came over to the central belt - I have many in my own family.
So I don't think his brother would necessarily have been a miner back home.

If anyone in the family had applied for Poor Relief though, that can bring up a wealth of background information, family, birth places, dates etc.
The Mitchell library in Glasgow has those - others will be able to help you there, not an avenue I've ventured down yet.
some information can be found here: https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk ... r-Law.aspx

You don't mention your GGFather's own name or details.
I'm certainly not finding anything at all of interest on his brother's name - did he die in Scotland?

If you would like to give us a bit more information we might be able to help you.
Wilma

Researcher46

Post by Researcher46 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:12 pm

His name was John Logan married Mary Rodgers in Barony they had two sons Robert and Alexander one daughter Janet . That is according to the 1841 Census. I cannot find the birth records of any of the children. I did find the marriages of both Robert and Alexander but nothing further on Janet, Robert is my great grandfather he served in the Crimean war. My grandfather was John Holmes Logan who served with the Seaforth Highlanders in Afganistan, Sudan and Boer War, The HLI, and RAF in WW1.

Robert was married around 1865 in Barony with Alexander a witness. Alexander married Susan McK... Robert had three children Robert who died at age 12, Janet who died early in life, and also John. I did not find any children for Alexander. That is what I remember off the top of my head

All my information is on my main computer, which burst into flames two days ago. A short in the Power supply. good job everything was backed up.

Dan Logan

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 pm

ouch - that hurts [comp03]
I found them in 1851, on Freecen, a bit further along Dale Street [number 7 in 1841, 65 in 1851]:
Piece: SCT1851/622 Place: Barony -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 12
Civil Parish: Bridgeton Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 600 Page: 25 Schedule: 86
Address: 65 Dale Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
LOGAN John Head M M 56 Hand Loom Weaver Ireland - -
LOGAN Mary Wife M F 50 Winder Ireland - -
LOGAN Robert Son U M 21 Weaver Lanarkshire - Calton
LOGAN Jenet Dau U F 15 Cotten Mill Worker Lanarkshire - Calton
LOGAN Alexr Son U M 12 Weaver Lanarkshire - Calton

MARTON Mary Reltiv U F 6 Lodger Lanarkshire - Calton
MELVIN Jane Lodger W F 30 Winder Lanarkshire - Calton
MELVIN George Son U M 15 Strocher Lanarkshire - Calton
MELVIN Mary Dau U F 10 School Lanarkshire - Calton
SKIVERTON Betty Lodger W F 44 Cotten Mill Worker Ireland - -
SKIVERTON Margaret Dau U F 18 Cotten Mill Worker Lanarkshire - Calton
SKIVERTON Arthur Son U M 12 Miner Lanarkshire - Calton
In 1861 Ancestry has Alexander living with his mother coton winder and [Uncle?] Isaac Rodger coal miner at 18 William Street:
Name: Alexander Logan Age: 22 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Relationship: Son Mother's Name: Mary Logan Gender: Male where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 644/3 Registration district: Bridgeton Civil parish: Glasgow Calton County: Lanarkshire
Address: 18 William St
ED: 37 Household schedule number: 4 Line: 10 Roll: CSSCT1861_100
Household Members Age Relationship
Mary Logan 59 Head
Alexander Logan 22 Son
Isaac Rodger 55 Boarder
I'll dig more later on.
Wilma

Researcher46

Post by Researcher46 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Yea the computer was about a year old but I only started using it 3 months ago, just did not want to use Windows 10 !!!

looks like you found some more info. I was just finishing my mother's side of the family for the last year and was getting back to my father's side. On my mother's side, most of the fathers were named William Hay. Many of whom married ladies named Margaret ??? Managed to get back as far as the early 1700s. But with so many similar names with children with the same names. It's like they say at the ballpark.."you can't tell the players without a program" In my case an Excell spreadsheet.

Researcher46

Post by Researcher46 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:02 am

Thank you for the information and for presenting it with the reference data. Took a while to review it

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:29 pm

Researcher46 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm
On my mother's side, most of the fathers were named William Hay. Many of whom married ladies named Margaret ???
Your Hay's wouldn't be from the Moray Firth area? I know of a few Margaret Hay's up there.

Back to your Logans.
Alexander married Susan McKechnie in 1864 and she died in 1878.
Not seeing any children, though there was a baby James Logan Mother maiden name McKechnie died in 1866.

Was John Logan marked as deceased on either of the brother's marriage certificates?
finding his death could potentially give parents' names which could help us track a down a place in Ireland.

Mary seems to vanish after 1861 too, and I can't find a death matching.

Sorry more questions than answers
Wilma

Researcher46

Post by Researcher46 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Seems to be the way when researching. I spent 12 years researching my father's WW2 RCAF squadron for my 419 squadron website. Same story questions get other questions.

I think both parents were deceased when the sons were married.

My uncle Robert told me that he did remember that Robert his grandfather was at Sevastopol. But he never mentioned Alexander or Janet or his own father's siblings.

Could the reason for the lack of birth documents be that John was protestant and his wife Mary was Catholic and the parish refused to accept the marriage or the children? Or they were just too poor or not religious?

Going to dig out an old computer and see if I can get it useable

fun fun

Researcher46

Post by Researcher46 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 pm

my mother's family records began in the Peterhead area for a number of generations. Eventually ending up in Glasgow where I managed to visit my uncle William and his son William. Then 8 years later I visited my other cousin William and his son William in LA.

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 pm

The Irish often made use of the Poor Law in Scotland, The Mitchell Library in Glasgow have poor law records, and were supposed to be getting them online at some stage or at least the index. But Pandemic and economic pressures have halted this, but my suggestion would be try the Mitchell Library, if you are unable to attend, then try and get someone who is local to go for you. I think they are starting to open up again.

My Great Grandparents had come over from Ireland, all I had was their Marriage in Ballymena, however I was contacted by a relative who told me they were not the only ones from the family to have moved, and one couple did indeed claim on the Poor Law. So spending time in the Mitchell I found her. The records were fantastic, it told me where exactly they came from; all those relatives still living in Ireland; all the family who had moved to Scotland and where they were. Though funnily she lived in the next street to my Great Grandparents but claimed they didn't know where they were.